AQUA CLEAR FILTERS?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Yes aquaclears are very good those and the Emperors are my favorite HOB's.

I have four aquariums and 6 Aqua Clear filters. I think they are awesome.

I use four AC 70 (fomerly AC 300): two on my 55 gallon, and one each on my 29 standard and 30 long. I have an AC mini (fomerly AC 100) on my 10 gallon. I have an AC 50 (fomerly AC 200) as a back up filter that will go on my 20 long that I intend on getting.

I suggest that if you go with these filters that you go by the gallons per hour and shoot for approximately 10x gallons of tank. For example 300 gallons per hour on a 29 or 30 gallon tank.

The main reason I picked the Aqua Clear line is from the rave reviews they get and how easily you can add/change media. Also, it is easy to adjust the flow rate if needed. I keep the sponge from the AC 50 that I am not using in the media basket of one of the 70s and that way, when I do get the 20 long, I will already have an established bacteria colony for that tank.

I really like these filters. :nod: :nod: Of course, there are many other great filters too. Many people seem to like penguin and emperor. Good Luck!!

Yah aquaclears are very good and cheap but for my 55 gallon I wanted to try a canister and I had the money so I got an Eheim Pro II 2026. Eheim's are my favorite canister type filter. I have an Aquaclear on my 10 gallon and it works great. What size tank do you have penquin?

I love the Aquaclear, I've been using it since I had a tank when I was younger, and all of my friends that set up tanks use them as well. [Mostly cos I talk them into it. :p] I've got an AC 50/200 on my 15 gallon, and it works wonders. Keeps the water clean and clear, and was pretty cheap for me. Then again, that's cos I got the tank and filter secondhand from an LFS employee -- $20 for both of them. :)
But yeah, the ACs are really great, you can make your own filter media for them if you want, with media bags and carbon, and filter floss, bio-balls, etc. :D

I have a 55 gallon tank and with the fish I want to put in it, the water quality needs to be great......if i took an AquaClear- 150/30 and set the flow rate as high as it can go (highest flow rate on that model is reccomended for 30 gallons aquariums) and added a Bio-Wheel Pro Filter by Marineland would it be enough to filter the tank very well? NOTE: the bio whell is reccomended for 30 gallon aquariums

You'd probably want a bigger AquaClear. The one on my 15 gallon is rated for 50 gallons, and even set on max setting it's not too much for my fish. For excellent water quality, go with two filters rated for a 50 gallon tank. Then you have filtration for a 100g tank, which will lead to better water quality.

With two filters rated for 30g tanks you could probably get away with a regular tank, but for higher quality you'll need more powerful filters.

so as qwlee7 said [I suggest that if you go with these filters that you go by the gallons per hour and shoot for approximately 10x gallons of tank. For example 300 gallons per hour on a 29 or 30 gallon tank.]

yup

on my 20 gallon, i have a 150 (that came with the tank) and a mini, that's 250gph total and it keeps the water crystal

i have a 50 gallon fry tank with only a 300 on it and it's ok, but that tank is well understocked as it is only tiny fry that live in it.

You could get the AC 110 (used to be AC 500) and that would give you 500 gph of filtration. I decided to put two AC 70s (300 gph) on my 55 gallon. That way, I still got the 10x filtration but also had two filters so if something happend to one, I could get by with the other one in an emegency.

I wish Aqua Clear had left their filters named the old way. It was easier to know how many gallons per hour you are getting when that is the number of the filter. -_- But, that is the only complaint I've ever had with them so i guess I should shut up. :lol:

I run an Aquaclear 500 and an Emperor 400 on my 55g.

My water is cyrstal clear, but I also do 30% weekly water changes.

I think AC's are great for the price. I also run an AC 200s on my 10g tanks. :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back