Apple Snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That purple Snail is beautiful. All we have here is gold which is really yellow, black which is really dark gray, & blue which is really light gray. Given those as options I opted for the biggest Gold one I could find. I'd pay a good deal more if I could find a purple strped one like that. Good luck with it :good:

That purple Snail is beautiful. All we have here is gold which is really yellow, black which is really dark gray, & blue which is really light gray. Given those as options I opted for the biggest Gold one I could find. I'd pay a good deal more if I could find a purple strped one like that. Good luck with it :good:

Thanks Ruskull. I am rather pleased with it ... and it's leaving the plants alone :good:

okay, I'm a bit worried about this apple snail. This morning I caught my platy/molly cross 'trying to eat it' ... by that I saw it knock it over and start nipping at the soft underside. Obviously the snail curled up to protect itself but once it came out again the platy/molly did the same thing again. I saw it do this several times and in the end the snail retreated to the back of the tank next to the filter. I switched the light off then to give it a break (hopefully)

I've just got in from work to find the snail motionless next to the bogwood with it's underside facing upwards. I opened the lid and picked it up cos I really thought it was dead. I saw a brief movement so I sat it on the piece of courgette that's been in there since this morning - it was untouched. It has now un-ravelled itself and is feeding on the courgette but I'm still a little concerned.

Could this evil platy/molly cross effectively kill it? Because if that's the case it may have to either go back to the shop or into my fry tank instead.

Hope somebody see's this now this has been moved cos I am quite concerned

Fish are inquisitive, if they think something is food they will peck or eat it depending of what size is it.
I've seen some fish kill a snail before and some that I thought would kill a snail that didn't. If it were me I'd give it another day or two watching closely and if he's still getting bothered then you could move him to the fry tank you said you had. I really wouldn't worry about it at the minute though.

my old rough gravel is in the fry tank, would it be okay on that or will it make it ill?

I had to ring the lfs today about the snail. My molly/platy cross continues to harress the poor thing and now it's barely coming out of it's shell.

They've suggested I feed frozen blood worms for the next few days in the hope that meat will take it's mind off trying the eat the snail. If it carries on though they will take the snail back.

What the heck have I done in getting this snail. I wish I'd never gone there

I LOVE my apple snails! I was able to order a purple one on AquaBid, and she's lovely. I feed mine all sorts of things. Algae tablets, red leaf lettuce, bits of apple, courgette, even orange slices. Each snail has its favorite, naturally. :rolleyes: As far as too curious fish, I've had very poor luck in keeping bettas with snails. The snails had their antennae munched off in what seemed like seconds.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back