Apple Ipod Touch

GobyMaster

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Smack Dab in the Center of the Good Ol' U.S. of A
Hello, has anyone seen the adds for the new Apple iPod Touch? It's pretty much the iPhone minus the phone. It's got music, movies, pictures, internet, youtube, and a Wi Fi iTunes Music Store that you can buy songs directly from your Touch!
They're so new not many stores have them yet. . . . .
I'll be ordering mine off the Apple website sometime this week.
Here's a link to the Apple site here: iPod Touch.
It's soooooo cool.
Cheers,
GobyMaster

I agree Andy; there's 80GB and 160GB available for the other iPod, but this one's hard drive is lacking although the product is slim. And why no email or mobile games on it? Touch screen with games would be awesome. I'm sure they will release a next generation/update for it next year. But GobyMaster, why wait? If you want it, you want it... so go for it. :)

it's time for a broad sweeping statement. anyone who buys one of these things is a moron. expensive, looks good (psp anyone?), hardly much memory in general terms, basically I didn't like 'ipods' at first, this takes the biscuit and the entire jar as well...

Does have e-mail and mobile games, there's a safari browser with a WiFi card in it after all.

And all this for only $399 tops? I think they've done quite a feat actually. They aren't trying to compete with the PSP or gameboy anyway! It's more like a portable media center. Think about it, watching youtube on the go, without a laptop!

My only gripe is that with a touchscreen, you'd not be able to adjust anything without taking it out of your pocket and having a look. No buttons to navigate by feel. For that reason alone I wouldn't get one.

Still millions will, it's just what happens when Apple releases anything iPod.

SLC

About the 160 GB iPod, I don't have 40,000 songs to fill it up!
And, yes, there is e-mail, games, and you can surf any site on the web (I could come on here in the middle of class at school. . . . . :shifty:
See, I don't need a whole bunch of memory. I have about 600 songs I'd put on, maybe 1,500 photos, and about 6 or 7 hours of video that I'm going to put on it (I'm getting the 8 GB, not the 16 GB).
And I'm ordering it sometime this week (probably tomorrow or Friday).
Cheers,
GobyMaster

Does have e-mail and mobile games, there's a safari browser with a WiFi card in it after all.

Only web mail. All the reviews I can see mention no mail client. Not to mention Safari Mobile does not support:

window.showModalDialog()
Mouse-over events
Hover styles
Tool tips
Java applets
Flash
Plug-in installation
Custom x.509 certificates

And even cries over content on the iTunes site and the Apple quicktime site. The browser does look quite good though.

However, the net connection via WiFi requires you to be in a WiFi area that you have access to. For most of us that will be at home, where I have a MacBook Pro that does the job far better.

And all this for only $399 tops? I think they've done quite a feat actually. They aren't trying to compete with the PSP or gameboy anyway! It's more like a portable media center. Think about it, watching youtube on the go, without a laptop!

Youtube in a WiFi hotpsot, my experience of which is that you often have to pay for them.

My only gripe is that with a touchscreen, you'd not be able to adjust anything without taking it out of your pocket and having a look. No buttons to navigate by feel. For that reason alone I wouldn't get one.

Aah, but that would be better than my touchscreen sony walkman phone which exempts the play/stop button on the side from key locking, meaning the phone will often start playing music despite you locking it up...

Still millions will, it's just what happens when Apple releases anything iPod.

SLC

Indeed, it has become a cult and people are starting to buy apple on the brand alone, rather than what the brand used to try and stand for (ergonomics, usually).

Though they are very nice looking devices, and are generally just a nice user experience...I wouldn't buy one for use as an mp3 player. I'm not sure how long the screen would last for everyday use...and I would need at least some buttons on the side. How are you supposed to use it in winter when you have gloves on either? :p

Maybe as a movie player, but for the money I could get much better devices, and as others have said 16GB is really a poor show from apple...

Granted I'm not a very big apple fan, in fact I used to really despise iPods (everyone seemed to have them, despite various cheaper alternatives with better specs), but the iPod touch just isn't a practical device IMO.

The new iPod nano 'fatty' on the other hand...I've already bought a green one :D.

The new iPod nano 'fatty' on the other hand...I've already bought a green one :D.

That's probably going to be my replacement iPod as well, but I'll get a black one, I'm a sucker for the compact size. But my iTunes library is sitting at about 10GB without videos as is, so an 80 GB iPod classic is also looking good.

I'm using a 1st generation 4 GB nano right now, and it's battery is just about worn out. Only lasts me about 5 hours before needing a charge.

SLC

About the WiFi stuff, my school has WiFi all over the grounds, so I could use it anywhere. Also, my house has WiFi, and so does the Elementary school not even a block away from my house, so I can use it when I go to the park, so I can use it anywhere.
It's easy to use it in the winter: don't where gloves! ;)
Cheers,
GobyMaster

In general iPods need a good revamping. Yes, they are the most popular mp3/media player out there but they aren't necessarily the best. Take a look at some of the Creative, Zune, iRivers out there. They are really nice and you aren't as strapped in as you are with having to use a program like iTunes *shivers*.

Just take a look at some of the media players out there before you go and run to get the one that has the most advertising.

The Creative Jukebox was the original to use the iPod style menu system (and made the first HDD media player), and the Zunes score higher than iPods in the reviews in Audio visual magazines. Also, when iPods were struggling to get 8 hour battery lifes the Creatives were looking close to 24.

However, the Zunes aren't as hip and trendy so people start following the Apple products liek they are the best and only. Consider the iPhone. Save for a step forwards in touch screen technology (multi touching - sounds like dogging...) the phone itself is a massive step backwards from smart phones already on the market. However, many people think it is the best and most advanced phone.

Stlye over substance, the Apple way with the iPod and iPhone.

Personally I think the iPod touch is a bit rubbish. A 16gb media player really is nothing now and all the rest of the stuff it can do my phone can already do better (as can most phones now).

I do have an iPod (the 80gb video version) but there really is nothing special about it. It looks pretty and does the job but the only reason I got that over one of the Creative ones is because I can plug it into my car head unit and control it with the head unit controls. It has completely locked up on my 4 times so far in the space of 4 or 5 months. Not having a drag and drop interface to begin with was a pita and I hated iTunes. I have however come to appreciate it a bit more as if nothing else it has finally forced me into renaming all the MP3's I ripped years ago before the mp3 rippers automatically got the track information for you.

All that being said if I didnt want to be able to control it from the head unit I would have gone for a Creative one.

Most reactions

Back