Apistogramma Id help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aquarium guy person

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently bought an assorted Apistogramma and it arrived nice and healthy but I don’t know what it is. It is very pretty and I want to know the Id so I can buy some females and breed him.
C38B9E1F-8AAE-43CE-86BA-4FFC5BFF7417.jpeg

Dont know but hes awesome looking, has great fins, once he colors up he will be a 10!

I reckon a borelli x agassizi

Never buy fish from the assorted tank unless you can positively identify them. There are enough hybrids out there and many are rubbish that should not be kept. There's no need to encourage the production of them by purchasing unidentifiable fish from fish farms that like to play god.

There's a few fish farms in Florida that play god and regularly create new fish by hybridising true species.

Do you think it could possibly be Apistogramma Agassizii Alenquer? He is kind of stressed and just started eating and coming out of the tank.ive noticed he has somewhat long fins.

the body is the wrong shape for agassizzi, which are much narrower fish than borelli.

you can ask the shop where they got it from and if they can confirm the identity of it.

I would hazard a guess that it is Agassizzi - fins and body seem the most close. Possibly a hybrid, but I think a true Agassizzi would be most likely.

Do you have an updated picture since he's had time to settle?

I am certainly not expert when it comes to Apistogramma species, but I would suggest A. agassizii and A. gephyra as possibles. Once he settles and you can get a more representative photo, the patterning in the caudal fin should be distinctive as it is between these two species which both have a lanceolate caudal fin.

Now, within the "species" A. agassizii I understand there are eight recognized forms which may turn out to be distinct species (Mark Wise). See Miller & Schliewen, "The molecular phylogeny of the genus Apistogramma," DATZ 2005, and Koslowski (2002). I only have these references, not the studies alas.

He looks like an Agassizzi to me. Most likely a hybrid.

Overall, he’s a nice looking fish. I’m glad you got him for a reasonable price. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back