Apistogramma agassizii keep hanging around the top for oxygen

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Brodie

Reaction score
I have recently added two apistogramma agassizii 'double red' to my aquarium, the fish were swimming around exploring the tank for most of the day. (The fish had previously been in a quarantine tank and had been eating and moving fine). At the end of the day, I noticed that both fish were at the top in the corner of my tank. To me, it looks like they were gulping for air. (I have had this tank running with multiple fish in it for a few weeks with no air stone and no gulping problems with other fish). I decided to add an air stone that night to try and remedy the problem. After a while it seemed to work, the fish came down and started eating and swimming normally. The next day however the fish started doing a similar thing but with the airstone in the water.

I am wondering if they are in fact gulping air because of a lack of dissolved oxygen or if they are reacting to the algae fix I put in the tank. I am wondering this as this is the only difference I can think of between my quarantine tank and my actual tank. All other fish are not acting this way.

Snapchat-230616219.jpg
20220315_135808.jpg
20220315_140034-jpg.156404

Attachments

• 20220315_140034.jpg
    20220315_140034.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 181
Obviously there is something toxic in the water which is affecting them, and there is little doubt it is the algaefix. Never, never use such products to "kill" algae (or snails) in a tank with fish. These preparations are not "safe" regardless of what the manufacturer may claim.

Additives to the tank water dissolve into the water. Fish continually assimilate water into their bodies via osmosis through the cells (that is the fish equivalent of drinking water). Any dissolved substance that is able to diffuse across the cell membrane will enter into the bloodstream and internal organs with the water. At the very least these are stressful, and in many cases toxic.

Do a major water change, 80% of the tank volume at one go, to remove and dilute the chemical. A second W/C the same tomorrow (or later today) won't hurt. Use a good conditioner but no other additives. You might save the Apistogramma, let's hope so.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back