API Testing and Seriously Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
True....but just because there is no trIte or trAte does not guarantee there is no ammonia, as the OP alluded to.
Indeed.

There are several ways where you can get zero readings on any of the parameters actually, just depends on circumstances is all, especially with those dip strip kits in terms of accuracy, not all strip kits are bad mind you but they are easily contaminated and spoiled

I only needed to look up one species to realize that the information on " Seriously Fish" was going to be of little value to anybody new into the hobby. No doubt there are species that the site gives very accurate advice for, but as for someone new to the hobby I don't know how they can determine that.

The data on each fish profile is, so far as I know, accurate and reliable. There are other reliable sites for specific fish families, such as CorydorasWorld, Planet Catfish, Loaches Online, and a rainbowfish site Colin has referenced. I think you will find the species water parameter data is much the same on all of them, or close enough to be considered the same. This in itself settles the issue.

Really you guys need to start to get a grip of this hobby.
1. Promoting the API master test kit over the API test strips is nonsense who cares really and what do you ever do with the information you gain. I have only ever used the test strips. Zero Nitrites and zero Nitrates = zero Ammonia. Move on.
2. "Seriously Fish" Neon Tetra pH 4-7.5 hardness 18-215ppm. That means a Neon Tetra will live in any freshwater tank regardless of its chemistry.
So therefore, as I have been looking at " Seriously Fish " every fish I have looked at will live in any tank that has fresh water, so please explain why test for anything. There is no point. " Seriously Fish " says it will survive in your tank.
Why spend money on a test kit that will tell you something about your tank. But then you will go to, "Seriously Fish" and it will say that's fine your fish will survive anyhow, so why test in the first place.
I use strips myself, but 2 months ago, came to find out how inaccurate they can be. A good friend if mine brought his master kit over and we checked. The strips say my nitrite, ammonia and hardness was safe. Once tested in the master kit, that showed my ammonia levels and nitrite were actually high and my hardness was dangerous! My fish were showing signs of stress, I'm thankful he double checked for me! I have since switched to the master kit and will never go back!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back