API Testing and Seriously Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
So are you saying the stripes are inaccurate for new tanks but ok for established?
The strips can be inaccurate and unreliable, especially if they are aged.
Use a liquid test kit.

I only needed to look up one species to realize that the information on " Seriously Fish" was going to be of little value to anybody new into the hobby. No doubt there are species that the site gives very accurate advice for, but as for someone new to the hobby I don't know how they can determine that.
I think Seriously Fish is one of the better sites.
As with all sites one needs to know how to read and use the info. Same with books btw

Wait! Are you saying zero nitrite & zero nitrate = zero ammonia?
i have never tried the strips, but would like to. I will compare them to the drop readings. What is Seriously Fish?
The 5n1 test strips test Nitrate and Nitrite, if those two are zero the Ammonia will be zero. Someone will say that is not true, but that is how I read it. They also give you hardness and pH. For all these things we are looking for an indication the actual number doesn't matter in real life.

Please explain your logic.
In a biological system under the principles of the Nitrogen Cycle, Ammonia is turned to Nitrite and the Nitrate. So, if you have zero Nitrite and Nitrate and is logical to conclude you have zero Ammonia.

In a biological system under the principles of the Nitrogen Cycle, Ammonia is turned to Nitrite and the Nitrate. So, if you have zero Nitrite and Nitrate and is logical to conclude you have zero Ammonia.
I could dump ammonia into a glass of water.
Immediately after, the water would test positive for ammonia, but not trItes or trAtes.

Your logic is flawed.

Really you guys need to start to get a grip of this hobby.
1. Promoting the API master test kit over the API test strips is nonsense who cares really and what do you ever do with the information you gain. I have only ever used the test strips. Zero Nitrites and zero Nitrates = zero Ammonia. Move on.
2. "Seriously Fish" Neon Tetra pH 4-7.5 hardness 18-215ppm. That means a Neon Tetra will live in any freshwater tank regardless of its chemistry.
So therefore, as I have been looking at " Seriously Fish " every fish I have looked at will live in any tank that has fresh water, so please explain why test for anything. There is no point. " Seriously Fish " says it will survive in your tank.
Why spend money on a test kit that will tell you something about your tank. But then you will go to, "Seriously Fish" and it will say that's fine your fish will survive anyhow, so why test in the first place.
Really? What a disrespectful way to open a thread. There are many very, very experienced and successful fish-keepers on this forum who do not do things the way you do. Get over it.

1. I keep tabs on nitrates in my tank. Strips do not give accurate readings for nitrates ever, in my experience. When I kept hardwater fish (my tap water being very, very soft), liquid test kits gave me very accurate results to keep the hardness consistent and make it easy for the fish to thrive. Strips were not precise enough to keep the hardness within a few degrees.
2. This is just silly. Neon tetras are very adaptable fish, but even they cannot live in "any tank with fresh water." And not all fish are that adaptable. Some need very soft water, some very hard. Seriouslyfish will let you know of these fish. Just because you cannot see the point does not mean there is no point. If "every fish I have looked at will live in any tank that has fresh water," you have obviously not looked at very many fish.

Only if the beneficial bacteria have established!

I could dump ammonia into a glass of water.
Immediately after, the water would test positive for ammonia, but not trItes or trAtes.

Your logic is flawed.
The test would show ammonia but no nitrite and nitrate even after at least 24-48 hours as there would be no BB to convert any of the amonia present.

Really? What a disrespectful way to open a thread. There are many very, very experienced and successful fish-keepers on this forum who do not do things the way you do. Get over it.

1. I keep tabs on nitrates in my tank. Strips do not give accurate readings for nitrates ever, in my experience. When I kept hardwater fish (my tap water being very, very soft), liquid test kits gave me very accurate results to keep the hardness consistent and make it easy for the fish to thrive. Strips were not precise enough to keep the hardness within a few degrees.
2. This is just silly. Neon tetras are very adaptable fish, but even they cannot live in "any tank with fresh water." Not all fish are that adaptable. Some need very soft water, some very hard. Seriouslyfish will let you know of these fish. Just because you cannot see the point does not mean there is no point. If "every fish I have looked at will live in any tank that has fresh water," you have obviously not looked at very many fish.
This is prompted by one of our young members being told off for not being able to afford a Master test kit. But she could afford test strips which would be better than nothing. Also, I am tired of people coming on here with fish outside of their comfort zone and just saying "Seriously Fish" says it will be fine. I thought we were meant to be promoting best practice not she will be right.

The test would show ammonia but no nitrite and nitrate even after at least 24-48 hours as there would be no BB to convert any of the amonia present.
True....but just because there is no trIte or trAte does not guarantee there is no ammonia, as the OP alluded to.

This is prompted by one of our young members being told off for not being able to afford a Master test kit. But she could afford test strips which would be better than nothing. Also, I am tired of people coming on here with fish outside of their comfort zone and just saying "Seriously Fish" says it will be fine. I thought we were meant to be promoting best practice not she will be right.
I think most of us would agree that test strips are better than nothing...but they aren't ideal if you really want to measure your parameters accurately. If you don't see the need to measure your parameters accurately, that is your choice. That does not mean everybody else needs to "get a grip." What it does mean is that some members see the need, and that you do not.

Lots of us keep fish outside our comfort zone. That's how we learn about new species and new ecosystems. Seriouslyfish is a good resource. If you find specific information that is incorrect or misleading, they are usually open to changing it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back