Api Test Kit.

Shaddex

Fish Addict
Reaction score
As I'm always running out of ammonia testing solution, could you use half the sample of water and only 4 drops per bottle ?
Will I get the same result ?

Yes, you can use 50% of everything and it would still work the same.

Why do you need to test it so much? Once the tank is cycled you should never need it again. I don't know if I even have an ammonia kit anymore.

Why do you need to test it so much? Once the tank is cycled you should never need it again. I don't know if I even have an ammonia kit anymore.
Because it is safer for someone who doesn't know what they're doing to keep testing occasionally, until they know that they aren't #71###ing up.

Yes, it is fine to test less or only when something is wrong once one knows how things should be, but it is better that they do that when they're feeling comfortable with their base level of knowledge.

Because it is safer for someone who doesn't know what they're doing to keep testing occasionally, until they know that they aren't #71###ing up.

Yes, it is fine to test less or only when something is wrong once one knows how things should be, but it is better that they do that when they're feeling comfortable with their base level of knowledge.

I have 5 Tanks and I like to check levels once a week or so, keeping a record of all results for each tank.
Adding new stock to a tank can raise ammonia / nitrite levels, and as a breeder I like to keep on top of it.
Nothing to do with "doesn't know what they're doing". Just like to know.

Using half the dose and half the water volume will double the error margins on the test. Cheap home tests already have some wide error margins +-5 to 10%. What I would do, then, if you ever get some unexpected result, to retest with the full volume and confirm the number, and lower the error bounds at least somewhat.

Using half the dose and half the water volume will double the error margins on the test. Cheap home tests already have some wide error margins +-5 to 10%. What I would do, then, if you ever get some unexpected result, to retest with the full volume and confirm the number, and lower the error bounds at least somewhat.
Good idea. I'll bear that in mind.

Most reactions

Back