Api Root Tabs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TallTree01

Coo, Man
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I went to the store today to get some more root tab fertilizers as I have run out. They were out of the normal brand which I use one of every week for my 90 liter tank. So I bought a different brand: API root tabs.
It says to use 1 per 30 square inches of floor space ( 194 cm2 ) every month.
My tank is 62 x 37 cm and so I need 12 root tabs every month for my 90 liter tank.
Even for my 8 x 8 inch plant tank I need 2 a month.
Does this seem excessive to anyone else? Does anyone have experience with this brand?
They only come in packs of 10 and cost me about 40$. :crazy:

I have used APi Root Tabs once before, have to say was not very impressed with these tbh.

And yes, in UK API does seem a little expensive, especially when compared to Seachem Root Tabs for example, you put these Seachem tabs in substrate every 2 or 3 months, depending how heavily planted the tank is.

Also APi does not have micro and trace in them.

I have not used the API tabs myself, but I have heard unfavourable comments from those who have.  If these are disturbed, as during water changes or by digging, apparently they can make quite a mess.  As for their effectiveness...without knowing what they contain it is difficult to know how effective they may be, and there is not much info on their website.  It does mention iron, potassium and carbon and the carbon gives me cause for concern.  I know their liquid product, Leaf Zone, only contains iron and potassium and while that may help it will only do so if the other 15 required nutrients are present in sufficient amounts to provide for the plants' requirements.

I have been using the Flourish Tabs for five years now, with good results.  I only use them next to certain plants, not throughout the substrate, which is not necessary.  Organics (fish excrement, etc) enter the substrate and break down, providing the major source of carbon (CO2) and other nutrients for plants.  Adding a complete liquid fertilizer is all that is necessary beyond this, in low-tech or natural method planted tanks.  Plants can only take up nutrients from the water, whether via roots or leaves, so adding the fertilizers to the water will cover everything, and the water does circulate throughout the substrate.  The benefit of substrate fertilizers is that they take longer to enter the upper water column (Seachem says this does not even occur with their tabs) which is less likely to create algae issues, and if the product is a good one the essential nutrients are being released slowly and in close proximity to the roots of plants that need them.

I use one next to each of the large sword plants in three tanks, and one next to my Red Tiger Lotus bulb and one per Aponogeton, and the tabs have made a noticeable difference to these plants.  But I do not use them elsewhere, and the crypts and chain swords are thriving.

I mentioned algae earlier.  The trick to controlling algae in a planted tank is to have the nutrients in balance with the light intensity (and duration), suitable for the specific plant species and numbers.  Some plants are especially heavy feeders--the Echinodorus species (swords) for example--and this is where the substrate tabs are so helpful.  These add additional nutrients beyond the liquid fertilizer, but not directly into the water column.  Adding too much liquid fertilizer can cause serious algae issues because it takes longer for this to be taken up by these larger plants rooted in the substrate.  In a tank with more faster-growing plants such as the stem plants and floating plants, which rely much less (if at all) on what is in the substrate, increasing the liquid fertilizers may be effective.  But more than once I have increased this beyond the needs of the plants, and algae has always increased.  I've done sufficient experiments with this to be certain.

Byron.

Thanks guys, I think what I'll do is use one or two in my plants only tank and if they work I'll continue using them and if not I'll toss them and get some Flourish tabs, which seem much more popular. :)

Have no opinion on the API root tabs, as I have never used them.
On the other hand, I cannot say enough good things about Flourish tabs, or any Seachem product for that matter.
Although I did come close to comming to blows with our Sales Rep. They had a 'sales blitz', and one stop was Seachem Labs. Of course they couldn't try and get me some freebies.

Wasn't happy with the APIA brand, clouded the water far more than the other root tabs and the effects were negligible. The sword's leaves are looking kinda shabby too.
I bought some flourish tabs and have put one next to each of my larger swords and crypts. I'll let you know how I get on. I'll do it again in mid September if the plants do well with it. They smell great! :lol:

API used to make a great root tab. It was a micro/trace tab and they were excellent. They ran into issues with US (and other) regulators due to labelling laws. They were forced to remove that product and create what we see today. When I got wind of this over a decade ago I bought a large supply and am finally at the end of them. I cannot comment on the current incarnation.

I have never been willing to pay the prices charged by SeaChem etc. for root ferts. They are a typical raise the price to fish folks product. I have always used Jobe's Spikes. These can be cut into smaller pieces so I use what is appropriate depending on the number and sizes of the plants involved. I also push the fert all the way down to the bottom glass. If you think you have seen algae, try using these spikes and then digging things up and letting the ferts get into the water. You will truly learn the meaning of an algae outbreak.

In about 2002 I traded a gent in Florida a bag of a dozen long fin bristlenose about 1.5 inches for a number of boxes of the Jobes Fern and Palm Spikes (the best choice for tank use, if not available get the house plant spikes). I have been using them in about 8-10 tanks for over a decade (its more like 3 now as I have cut way back on planted tanks). I still have some from that 2002 trade. I use them about every 3 months.

Tom Barr and I had a disagreement on using these on another Forum many years back. He is not a fan because of what happens when you dig them up. If you are an active rescaper, these are not for you. I am not, so this was never an issue for me.

I should mention I am a bit lazy about some things so I use SeaChem's liquid ferts (over priced but easy). I have their potassium, phosphorus, nitrogen, iron and Excel. I also have dry potassium nitrate and have used the Tropica Micro/trace mixes now for about 14 years.

Most reactions

trending

Back