Api Liquid Test Kits

jonp

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
127
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
GB
Why do the ammonia and nitrite kits instructions get you add the chemicals, shake and then wait five minutes? I only ask because mine have never changed beyond the colour they went to whilst being shaken?
 
Why do the ammonia and nitrite kits instructions get you add the chemicals, shake and then wait five minutes? I only ask because mine have never changed beyond the colour they went to whilst being shaken?
If after five minutes there is no color change, then whatever you were testing is at zero.

IMO, I think that the reason why you wait five minutes after shaking is because it takes a while for the chemicals that you have added from the bottles to change color according to your water quality inside the test tubes.

-FHM
 
If you have ammonia or nitrite present, they will change. It probably doesn't take 5 minutes. When I was cycling, I generally read min after about a minute or 2. As mentioned though, if there is none preent, they will stay yellow and light blue without any change.
 
just wondered cause when i got stuck with a fish-in cycle with readings for both (which led me here...) the reading even if positive got to the reading immediately and then stayed the same as well as now they are at zero.
 
..my nitrates are at 0? ):
(@ waiting, no colour)
I had no colour, probably did it wrong. but no nitrates? maybe this is why my plant is getting clawed to death. o_o;
 
Speed of colour change depends on temperature of the water.(and a few other things)

If testing tropical water you can take the reading a few minutes after adding the chemicals, Cold water like ponds etc the chemicals take longer to work.

Also, remember to leave the required time between adding the chemicals. Some kits need the first chemical to completely react before the second one is added.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top