Anyone Using Vista Yet?

I'm finally running Vista. It is WONDERFUL. People say it has security flaws but there have been a lot of security updates which make it all nice and secure. If you just wun Windows (any version) with no anti-virus and firewall of a third party your doomed anyways. Load up Avast and ZoneAlarm and BOOM, Instant awesome OS. The iPod software works just fine on Vista. Apple is just scared! Haha

I'm finally running Vista. It is WONDERFUL. People say it has security flaws but there have been a lot of security updates which make it all nice and secure. If you just wun Windows (any version) with no anti-virus and firewall of a third party your doomed anyways. Load up Avast and ZoneAlarm and BOOM, Instant awesome Bloatware. The iPod software works just fine on Vista. Apple is just scared! Haha

Corrected...

it's not a UK only term, but an IT based one, from wiki:

Software bloat, or bloatware, is a term used in both a neutral and disparaging sense, to describe the tendency of newer computer programs to be larger, or to use larger amounts of system resources (mass storage space, processing power or memory) than older versions of the same programs, without concomitant benefits being provided to end users.

As an example, my brother was upgrading a couple of machines from Excel 2000 to Excel 2k3. The 2k3 fills up just under twice as much memory without anything like twices as many functions. That is bloatware, newer things using up far more memory for not much gain (if any).

Bloatware: the consequence of lazy programming. Should Vista really need a whole gigabyte of memory? NASA landed people on the moon with less memory than a modern pocket calculator. This is the phrase that defines it best for me:

"Windows XPs new memory management features require more memory."

Surely it would be better to write the other functions being performed to use less memory, instead of writing a whole new set of functions that require more memory to poorly manage the poorly managed memory elsewhere. I re-read that last line twice, it makes sense to me ;)

Windows: doing so much behind the scenes that you didn't ask or want it to do that it can go BSOD with no more user input than pushing the power switch. Pretty yes, functional certainly, its enough of an OS to be happy with, no argument... but well programmed... definitely not.

I guess you learn something new everyday. Im going to SUNY Cobleskill for CIS Networking and never herd of it.

Don't like vista at all, very slow, very annoying. It came on my new laptop and I don't really want to try installing xp on it as I have no experience with laptops, now if it had of been my regular pc, I'd have re-formatted the sod and installed xp by now. As mentioned already not worth upgrading but if you already have it installed on a new laptop / pc or whatever then you may as well stick with it.

I like vista, I bought a new laptop with it already installed. No real problems with it so far, the only annoying thing is that it asks you permission to do everything before it does it...too user friendly..but i'm sure there's a way of switching that off.

I like vista, I bought a new laptop with it already installed. No real problems with it so far, the only annoying thing is that it asks you permission to do everything before it does it...too user friendly..but i'm sure there's a way of switching that off.

Same here mate :good: I dunno where people are getting all these negative ideas from. I don't see anything wrong with it, aside from the fact that it's just a more flashier, sexy, and user-friendly, then Xp and costs more than $200! This should have been more of an update than an new OS. Personally I think it pretty good if your getting a new system that comes with Vista. Otherwise, it's just not worth upgrading ;)

Same here mate :good: I dunno where people are getting all these negative ideas from. I don't see anything wrong with it, aside from the fact that it's just a more flashier, sexy, and user-friendly, then Xp and costs more than $200! This should have been more of an update than an new OS. Personally I think it pretty good if your getting a new system that comes with Vista. Otherwise, it's just not worth upgrading ;)

Thatā€™s what I thought of at first. I made some comments earlier in this thread and now Iā€™m eating them so to speak. Throughout this year I have been working on this OS in some of my classes and I am starting to HATE IT (networking, OS, Information Systems). There was nothing wrong with XP in my opinion but god damn, Vista is so annoying! I made a comment also in some of my threads before about Mac loosing the upper hand....now Windows in losing the upper hand and Mac is laughing at them. (I still hate iPods though -_- ). If you want something shiny get a GUI program for windows to change the look like WindowBlinds.

Since this is my third semester in a BT program at SUNY Iā€™ve really seen the disadvantages of Windows and Macs now. I'm sad to say it but Linux is looking really nice. I even had Vista uninstalled from my personal computer and Fedora installed instead. Whatā€™s nice is that when I did some manipulating around, I was able to install my favorite video games on it now (DiabloIILOD, RagnarokOnline, etc.)

Iā€™m just glad I am not afraid of eating my own words. :look:

On the side note...there are some rumors coming out that Windows is coming out with another operating system around the summer of '09. Looks like Vista is the new ME.

Good old M$ ;)

You see the problems now, eh Danno. So much of it just smacks of lazy coding.

However, if the woes of my brother are anything to go by, Lotus Notes is even worse than M$... :crazy:

I've been using a Vista Notebook since June or July, I think. It's slow, but the graphics look purty. :rolleyes: My students love how pretty Powerpoint 07 looks in the Vista system. I really need to upgrade to 2G of RAM though, 1GB doesn't cut it for me and I tend to run a lot of stuff at the same time. Also, Vista comes with McAffee (sp) or whatnot, and it took me forever to break down the security mumbo jumbo and uninstall McAffee, which I hate with a passion. After taking it out to dinner and a movie, it cooperated. I also can't use it well with my mainframe in the University I work at, because I refuse to install McAffee, but I think the school is catching up. It consumes a hardrive like the Tasmanian Devil! I have 120GB and now I'm down to 72GB, that's unheard of after less than 6 months. I have like a 120GB hardrive in my XP desktop that's like 4 years old and still have like 92GB left, and that computer has more files in it than the FBI.

llj

EDIT: I like totally sound like a total like Valley Girl. :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back