Anyone Using Leds.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Crazy fishes

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone is using LEDs at present. I have the Reefbeam 120 which I must say is excellent. I have absolutely remarkable growth and it is supporting a T. Maxima. I am looking at replacing the metal halide my other tank with a Kessil A350W which apparently has comparable PAR but a fraction of the electricity usage.

Eagerly awaiting to hear of your experiences

Kindest regards

Am I to assume that people aren't using LEDs on their tanks. If so why not? Is it price? is it Noise from fans? or is it caution of a relatively new lighting system?

Views would be very nice to reads

Kindest regards

Joe

The hardware section is always a bit slow. Be patient.
wink.png

I use LEDs on my frag grow-out tank and a couple other nanos. My frag tank is a shallow and long, and I have a marineland doublebright on it - not enough juice for something like anemones or demanding SPS, but fine for softies and some LPS given that the tank is shallow. I also use LEDs on all of my picos for the heat factor.

I don't think caution of new technology or noise are the main forces keeping LEDs uncommon. The up-front price can be rather painful for a big fixture unless you feel comfortable making your own. For example, LED equivalents to the 4xT5HO fixture I have on my 4ft tank ran more than twice the price. Another possible downside LED fixtures are also not always easy to fiddle with in terms of mixing colors to get different effects. Some LED fixtures I've seen over time seem really versatile, but they've all had correspondingly frightening price tags. Most of the more affordable ones have just a standard alternating white and blue pattern. Although T5 bulbs will run you out easily as much money over a few years replacing them as one of the boring LED fixtures, you can try different combinations more easily than with the average store-bought LED fixture.

I can't offer any help with the specific models you mentioned but hopefully someone else will come along eventually with thoughts on them.

Yea LEDs still have a while to come before people use them on tanks. The cheap ones wont grow plants and most corals and the others cost a kidney. I think overtime they'll come down in price and become a more common thing.

I have a kessil A350 over my Lido. A few pics in my journal. I probably should update more pics.

The kessil is a brilliant light. 90W and its meant to be the equivalent of 250W halide.

The kessil is more of a spot light so depending on your rock work they may be some shadowing. Also its not programmable like most LEDs, which for some is a deal breaker. The light is manually tuned with 2 knobs. There is a slight hum due the fan but I only notice it if I turn of my skimmer and am right next to it.

Unlike other LEDs there is no disco ball effect with the kessil. Which is good. I don't know if the reef beam gave that effect. There is a great shimmer of the kessil.

What size is your tank?

I have the Lido 120 as well as which is currently under a 150W halide. I made some measurements of PAR with the halide situated 3 inches above the water. I am getting 150 micromolars/meter squared/ second at the bottom of the tank pretty much and what is really interesting is that soft corals are loving it. My Leather toadstool is 12"x 10" under full on light and right in front of the wave front from the circulation pump.

Maybe getting the Kessil next week just waiting for delivery to the local shop.

Kindest regards

I have the narrow kessil a350 which is perfect for a 2 foot cube.

I will chime in on the DIY led fixtures. I built two dimmable led fixtures for my 75 gallon reef tank for around $250 each. They each run at a maximum of 115 watts a piece. I used a mixture of royal blue, cool white, green, red, and cyan leds. I replaced two 250 watt matal halides and am quite happy with the results. I haven't noticed any real increase or decrease in coloration or growth it seems to be roughly the same.

There is so much information and many tutorials online for building you own leds that anyone can build a fixutre for themselves in roughly a saturday afternoon. I honestly see no reason to buy commercially made led fixtures as they are still way to pricey.

I have now acquired my Kessil A350W and done some measurements on PAR. I am quite surprised at how deceptive it is; for it looks visually to be too weak to maintain any hard coral but the PAR is quite remarkable. It is positioned approximately 4-5 inches above the waterline and the PAR does dramatically lessen when penetrating the water from a monstrous 2888 to 450-ish just below the waterline. After this it is a very gradual reduction over the next 21 inches. I have measured at 14-15 inches and have readings of around 150-180 micromoles/ meter squared/ second and at the bottom of the tank has levels of 100-115 micro moles/meter squared/second which is more than the 150W halide previously over the tank. 

You have to see it to believe it but it is really quite extraordinary.

Kindest regards

I use an led strip light for a reef aquarium and find it much better for coral growth than strip lights. Plus theybare supposed to last between 5 to 10 yeays. So in the long run they work out to be much cheaper in terms of electricity and replacement costs. I recently went to a marine exhibition and all the beautiful displays were using led lights combining white and blue led. They are initially expensive but well worth it. I wouldnt bother with the cheap led as they are really for fish only tanks and wont help coral growth.

Nick

http://www.fishforinfo.net

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back