Anyone Seen Saltwater Molly's Before?

vickumar

New Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2009
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Points
0
So I was at a fist store a few days back, and I saw a school of what looked like your average sailfin molly's in the saltwater section. I did a doubletake and finally asked the owner what the heck those mollys were... he says one of his customers had mollys in her saltwater tank, and they kept having babies... so she dropped a bunch of with him. Apparently they've been acclimated to 1.023! Thats a lot, even for a brackish fish.
 
Quite frequently, seen guppies too :good:.

Keeping mollies in marine water isnt any worse than keeping them in freshwater, in fact, from what I've seen, I'd say it's better.

Sailfin mollies are often found in the sea, and common mollies black mollies are often found in brackish water.

Most are species adaptable as to salinity, and all the species are found in a range of habitats of different salinities.

I remember reading most common mollies offered for sale are hybrids, so it's not surprising that they do fantastically well in marine tanks.
 
We used to keep a batch of assorted mollies for the marine tanks in the quarantine room. They were from freshwater but we just dumped them in the marine tank and left them there. When we had no more marine fish in the quarantine tanks, we would put the mollies in the tank to keep the filters alive. When new marine fish came in we would move the mollies into a spare tank in the shop. They did really well and I think the saltwater actually cleared up a few health issues/ diseases they had.
 
I used 2 black mollies to kind of cycle my saltwater tank. The tank had cycled but levels would swing slightly on occation and they were fine. I rehomed them with my neighbour when I closed the tank down but they were very much at home in saltwater.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top