Anyone Recomend Them?

angelfishguy

Fish Addict
Joined
May 31, 2009
Messages
922
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
ireland(wex)
does anyone here keep oscars??
thinking about one but need to know what they require and how much tank space they need....
thanks guys
 
A single Oscar required a 75g (at least 4ft) tank. Tankmates are dependent on tank size, obviously not small enough to fit in their mouths. You need good filtration as they are messy fish.

Have a look at the pinned Oscar club thread at the top of the New World Cichlids forum here, it will give links and alsorts of helpful information. There are a lot of Oscar keepers here.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=253192
 
I know they require alot, I would love a pair but I dont have the room or the knowledge
 
I THINK they need to be a pair, not too sure though. Also, they need a fairly big tank.

shelaghfishface keeps one in a 300l tank i think, im sure she'll be along soon to help you out...
 
I THINK they need to be a pair, not too sure though. Also, they need a fairly big tank.

shelaghfishface keeps one in a 300l tank i think, im sure she'll be along soon to help you out...

i don't think they have to be a pair, Ive seen plenty on there own =/

could be wrong though =]
 
I'm going to keep 2 in a 150gal tank but you could get away with 100gal and good filtration (in my opinion) As to whether they will fight then that all depends on the individual oscars - some will be fine some will not.

You could keep 1 oscar with a big plec - a common or other 12"+ or other big fish like a school of silver dollars.

They don't need to be in pairs, 1 oscar is fine. They do like to interact - mine 'wag' at the glass and beg for food just like wet puppies :)
 
I THINK they need to be a pair, not too sure though. Also, they need a fairly big tank.

shelaghfishface keeps one in a 300l tank i think, im sure she'll be along soon to help you out...

i don't think they have to be a pair, Ive seen plenty on there own =/

could be wrong though =]

Sorry... I meant like, as oppose to keep two males together or something. Im not 100% sure though
 
I keep a pair in my 150g, I 've had them about 8 months. Not sure what there sex is but I;ve had no problems out of them and they are great fish to keep, so resposive and full of character apart from looking like great fish to have patrolling up your tank

I keep mine with 8 large silver dollars amongst other fish and I;ve never had a problem with aggression either with other fish or between the two, they are easiest fish to feed and grow quickly.

I couldn't recommend them highly enough
 
ideally to get a pair you want to start with 6 babies, and pray that they will pair off- then you have the trouble of rehoming the others :/

the bigger the tank the better same with the filters, as said they are like puppies and get bored, so if its a nice pretty tank you want then wrong fish, they are messy, dirty, and move anything and everything around :lol:

they are very enduring to their owners, and will sit and chill where you can be seen, or the tv for that matter :lol:
beautiful fish, notalways given the respect they deserve :(
they also live for about 10+yrs so its a long commitment and needs thought :)

oh did i mention that they are my fave fish in the whole world
absolutley id reccomend them, BUT only to the right conditions, if you cant get the right size tank or will get a small one and upgrade later .. then dont get them
 
thought you wanted snakeheads? you gone off the idea or something???

im just looking what my options are...


i read that they need 25-30 gallons each...
so could i keep 2 in a 75 gal??
or should i stick to 1 with some silver dollars if i go for them?
 
In a 75gal you could keep one Oscar but I think Silver Dollars would be too big, I'd go with an Oscar and a plec or just an Oscar.
 
they are very enduring to their owners, and will sit and chill where you can be seen, or the tv for that matter :lol:
beautiful fish, notalways given the respect they deserve :(
they also live for about 10+yrs so its a long commitment and needs thought :)

I agree with them not getting the credit they deserve!!

I;ve kep fish for moons but it wasn;t till October last year I got my two which was unplanned when I was on a long work trip.
You see them all the time in LFS very small often straggly, bent and twisted and in poor genetical condition, but when you get a good one o a good size they look ace, I love mine and would recomend them over most fish

202.jpg

mine are about 9 inches and gorgeous!!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top