Anyone Know Of Some Interesting Snail Species

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Meeresstille

Fish Addict
Reaction score
The July/August edition of Amazonas magazine had a great spread on snails. It's probably worth picking up a copy.
I subscribe to it and CORAL (same company) and really enjoy it.
Here's the cover from the magazine.
NMFwCizjAao6zzuQKoNmpUJD8DDZ4eQS.jpg

Sulawesi snails are awesome as well as their fresh water dwarf shrimp. I am not sure how common they are in the export market, but I do know the shrimp need very exacting water parameters.

My best advice for what might be available in your area with regards to snails would be to contact your local natural history museum or wild life (national parks) parks and see what they know is naturally wild in your region. Failing that try looking in your local water ways you may be surprised in what is already there (just make sure its legal to collect species from the wild first), when hunting for snails check out any aquatic vegetation, around and even under rocks and submerged timber, even scoop through any silty mud and see what treasures are living buried away from sight.

This link might also be a good starting point for you.
http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Projects/Aquatic_Invertebrates/?Page=19

A heartfelt Thank You to you both tcamos and Baccus! I will have a look who carries those magazines in my area! These snails are such beauties and wondered if anyone here keeps any of those or others besides the typical apple/mystery snails, ramshorn, nerite ...one can find at the LFS.

I'm not so much intersested in finding any local snails as I am now considering adding a snail to the 40 gallon "South Asian" tank. Since I still have some South American species (Pygmy Corydoras, Otocinclus) left in this tank I would have to re-home those first.

There is still a lot to plan for my 10 gallon South Asian Biotope (female Betta) and I haven't yet had the time to research if a snail could go in there. I would also be worried about the plants that I am planning to put in there, I would not want those to end up on a snail's buffet table! :)  

One of the snails they show in the magazine is a blue ramshorn. It's your typical ramshorn but as you may have guessed the shell is blue. The nice thing here is that it's an easy to care for snail, which will breed in the aquarium, but still looks nice.

I've not had an issue with betta eating my snails. I know in the wild snails live in the same water as they do.

There are also gorgeous varieties of MTS that you can collect as well.

Thanks, Frothhelmet for your answer! I'm actually considering adding the MTS to the 'biotope in planning'.

This here is one of the two Sulawesi Snails that are now in my 40 gallon:

Big Mama 2.jpg

Cool. I had problems with yellow and orange Tylomelania's in the past. Eating all my Java fern and coral pellia. You seem to have a nice size tank for them. Hope they breed for you. The babies are adorable.

Well MTS are biotopically correct(as I live in the world of southeast asia)

And to correct you its not south asian, its southeast asian. We are a continent in our own way

So Another thing is the MTS are rapid breeders. 

Nerites are also biotopically correct. but the water params need to be 7 pH or else their shells will get damaged.

Thanks DerpPH, I appreciate the info. Sorry about the Southeast Asian mistake, when I'm tired my English gets a little weirder than usual, lol.

Frothhelmet, yeah, I've noticed my Java Fern getting nibbled on. I've got lots of them though, and I'm trying to get the Sulawesi Snails well fed with pellets so they won't put too much of a dent in my collection of Java Fern plants, lol. I've also noticed 3 new young snails, but they look more like Ramshorn snails to me. Beats me how they got in there. Must have been hiding well for the longest time, since my last plant addition was months ago!?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back