Anyone Know About Golden Apple Snails?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Athena

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi - I posted my query yesterday lunchtime, over on the Invertebrates, Amphibians & Aquatic Reptiles Forum, but no replies on there so thought I'd try here as I think this forum is busier and as I won't be online over the weekend I was hoping for some help before I leave work today.

To cut a long story short, I bought a Golden Apple snail a few weeks ago and it was extremely active up until the fiasco with my heater packing up. With the temp drop for a couple of days he slowed down, I lost a couple of fish too, but then after the new heater was installed he just seemed to clam up and he's not moved or even peeked out of his shell since Sunday evening. The new heater went in on the Saturday. The temp was back up to normal level by Sunday (set at 26 degrees at the moment).

I'm not sure if that is too low for apple snails. Anyone know?

I hope he hasn't died in there! How long do I wait before I presume him to be dead? Is there a sure-fire way of telling if he's still alive in there?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Athena

Heat plays a big factor with apple snails
The colder water they will be sluggish not as active won't scavenge as much but they will live a much longer and some say happy life.
The warmer water, they will be more activeand so scavange alot more but will unfortunately live a shortened life but will grow larger.
How cold did the temp drop 2. How sudden did you heat up the water.
A dead snail will be the smelliest thing u will ever smell, and that is a fact. I am gessing u will have to w8 and see ( or smell)

Thanks, Alex.

The temp dropped a few degrees out of the safe green marker on the thermometer - so about 22/23 degrees.

When I added the new thermostat I set it first to 24, then when the light went out (which took absolutely hours) then I upped it again to 26.

Ok, I will wait under after the weekend and see if things change. If he still hasn't moved, maybe I should up the temp to 28 and see if that gets him going. Once I know he's alive I can adjust the temp back down again I suppose.

Cheers and have a good weekend.

Athena

Can you not give him a nudge or two, or even turn him over and check if theres movement?

My poor Snoopy (my assassin snail) get's turned over sometimes by the shrimps, and will sit there for ages to ensure they have gone and left him well alone :lol:

Though usually it's just because they want to clean him!

Can you not give him a nudge or two, or even turn him over and check if theres movement?

My poor Snoopy (my assassin snail) get's turned over sometimes by the shrimps, and will sit there for ages to ensure they have gone and left him well alone :lol:

Though usually it's just because they want to clean him!
A small drop in temp shouldn't kill a snail. After all they are regularly posted wrapped in damp tissue and that's far worse but most snails survive.If you are really anxious take him out of the water gently and have a quick snuff. Dead snails stink.

UPDATE

I don't think my snail is dead yet...

He still won't move but yesterday I saw his "door" was opened a fraction and there was a bit of his body sticking out like that for hours, completely still. I put my hand in and touched his shell gently and that tiny bit retracted back into the shell. So it was alive, after all!

But this morning when I checked the tank he is still lying in exactly the same spot as yesterday, on his back, with a tiny bit of his body out of the shell. Just lying there like that, motionless.

I wish I knew what was wrong with him - do snails get sickly? I never realised snails would be such a worry - more so than fish because at least with fish you can see physical signs of illness. With a snail they are tucked away in their shell and it's a guessing game!

Ah well...I suppose there's nothing I can do but watch and wait... :unsure:

Athena

Hi - yes I took him out and had a sniff - couldn't smell anything untoward, just smelt like tank water really.

I'll check him again tonight and have another sniff LOL

I was wondering if perhaps he's been injured, say, if one of the fish had nipped at him? Haven't actually seen it happen but it's a possibility I guess. I know they can re-grow their long feeler things but not sure if they do this whilst hiding away...

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Athena

LOL - no, but I do have an ADF called Gary in that tank with his mate Carl! (named after two friends who re-built my kitchen so wonderfully I named my frogs after them, much to their dismay :hyper: )

Alex - the fish in that tank are a few harlequins, serpae tetra, silver tip tetras, black sailfin molly, one tiny female pink short-bodied convict ("Rosie"), two ADFs...I think that's it...

I only added Rosie on Sunday night from one of my other tanks, so I don't think she's the culprit as the snail had already hidden itself away from last week.

Cheers - Athena

I dont know anything about snails except the garden ones.

Did you try put some 'food' in front of it, it might sneak out and nab it!

well none of them are really nippers. Was expecting you to say you had a puffer in there or something :rolleyes: May be try putting him atop a piece of w8ed down cucumber see if (par the pun) he bights

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back