Anyone Have Info On An American Flag Fish?

This Old Spouse

TOTM Winner May 2013
Reaction score
Just came across these in my search for fish that are colorful and can help me with my algae problem. Does anyone keep them? Can you give me any helpful insight?

I saw some in LFS here in England but the colour was greyish and not vibrant like in the links below:

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Jordanella&species=floridae&id=199

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile82.html

You will probably get better colouration as they are native to USA.

Post some pics if you get any!

Just came across these in my search for fish that are colorful and can help me with my algae problem. Does anyone keep them? Can you give me any helpful insight?

i used to live in miami.. and these things very rarely get as vibrant as those pictures :/

This is one off google ...

997ffc18.jpg

Well, I'm looking for fish for my 55g that will help with the algae, get along with my other fish and not wind up with some mysterious incurable disease like my beautiful dwarf gourami. Suggestions are welcome!

There is a difference in the females you know. The females are much drabber, greyish in appearance.
Fish can also adopt colours of which you dont associate them with the norm due to water unfavourable water conditions.
I have kept Jordanella's before, I wouldn't say I had a great success in breeding them but they did produce some fry.
Not sure your looking in the right direction here as an algae eater it may but will not clear your underlying problem that's causing this in the first place.
Regards
C

The research I did all hailed it as a wonderful algae eater. I'm not overrun with it or anything, but there is some and it seemed like an added benefit to a lovely fish. Now I'm seeing more that this fish isn't as colorful as I originally thought. What I'm looking for is a friendly fish that's nearly as colorful as my dwarf gourami but not as disease-prone. Eating algae seemed like a bonus.

Most reactions

Back