Anyone Got Poison Dart Frogs?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
the thermostat was set at 28degrees I first thought the thermostat wasn't working so I ran the heatmat without the thermostat but still no massive rise in temperature still stayed around 19/20degrees. Which is basically room temp. Maybe the mat is positioned in the wrong place? I have it on the outside of the tank on the back on the bottom left corner. Maybe need to get a better mat?

the thermostat was set at 28degrees I first thought the thermostat wasn't working so I ran the heatmat without the thermostat but still no massive rise in temperature still stayed around 19/20degrees. Which is basically room temp. Maybe the mat is positioned in the wrong place? I have it on the outside of the tank on the back on the bottom left corner. Maybe need to get a better mat?

hey, sorry haven't been on the forum for a while. I have owned my frogs for 6 months now, I got them from dartfrog.co.uk, they were £50 each which isn't too bad and they are in good condition, very happy. I went to the dartfrog shop to get them as I didn't really want them posted. it's worth going to look if u live close enough.

anyway, I have had the same problem as you with temperature. I have a light- Arcadia Pro Vivarium Canopy Compact 11w 30cm, it has worked perfectly. Initially I bought a light from dartfrog, which he recommended. it was terrible, the wiring I had to do myself and it was just so dodgy. It had to rest on top of the glass and got knocked off regularly. not good. I also got a heat mat from dartfrog.
I have often found that the temperature isn't at the desirable-23-25 degrees. It is definitely affected by room temperature. generally I try to put the heating on high in the room they are in and this brings it up to a good temperature. it is also affected by sunlight. you should never place the viv next to a window, mine is near to the window so it receives the sunlight but it's not too hot. other than that, when it has been cold and our heating broke one day-ahhh!, I have wrapped the viv with blankets and cushions to keep the heat in. my viv has a built in false bottom where I have put the mat- so it doesn't touch their bottom level but the heat rises straight to it.

19/20 degrees is fine for the frogs. ideally they prefer it higher-23-25. you want to worry if it goes below 17 or above 27. that's when it heads towards dangerous.

hope that helps, got any more questions then I'll try and keep more of an eye on the forum!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back