Anyone Breeding Uaru

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Scleropages

Reaction score
For more extensive information on uarus, visit the Uaru forum, a site dedicated to the Uaru and it's rarer cousin, the Uaru fernandezyepezi

Anyone here breeding Uaru's?

I have been keeping and breeding Uaru a's for about 8 years and was an active member on the now defunct Uaru forum during the last year or so of its existence. I have one pair left that recently started laying eggs and I pulled them (and the rock they are on) and put them into a hatchery tank. As I had done in the past with good success preventing fungus growth, I put an airstone blowing bubbles over the eggs. In less than 24 hours, fungus started to cover the eggs.

Any suggestions for preventing the egg fungus besides the air stone and using methylene blue?

When I use airstone alone I always get a ton of fungi. Methylene blue should help a lot.

This is speculation, but the parents would have neither airstone nor methylene blue. They pick off the fungusized eggs as soon as they can. IME it's usually a few eggs get fungusized first, which then quickly spreads to other eggs. So maybe picking them off yourself would be helpful?

I'm curious - how much success have you had with taking eggs out? The fry are supposed to feed off the parents' slime coat, just like discs.

I found that fungus comes when you have a bad egg that's not picked off. I would leave the eggs with the parents they will eat the bad eggs before they bring fungus to the rest. Do you keep them with other fish and your scared the other fish will eat the eggs? Only time I got fungus was when an egg went bad and I did not get it out in time. I have not used any treatment just clean water and air stones. More water changes would help.

How big of a tank do you keep them in.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the replies. I've successfully raised several batches of Uaru a.'s--the last group was a few years ago. In the last batch, I had about 40 survive to 3" before I traded them with a local importer. I always pulled the eggs and put in a hatchery tank. I've used the airstone method alone in the past with pretty good success. Since then, all of my original adults have passed away. I have one pair left from one of the batches of fry I raised and they started laying eggs after I moved a few months ago. Weird timing, but I figured I'd try raising their fry.

Hatching the eggs in the parents tank is not an option. There is no way the fry would survive in the parents' tank with the amount of filtration I have as well as the other fish (3 large red finned botias, 6 Synodontis alberti, and 1 large angelfish). The parents are in a 125gal tank with these other fish. If I do leave the eggs in the parent's tank, they get fungus on them anyway. And, the parents do not pick off the eggs with fungus.

I have found that methylene blue doesn't really help one way or the other. I used to use it in the past and in some cases, the eggs got fungus anyway. It seems that the best bet is keeping the water as new as possible in the tank. Also, I know that if the male doesn't fertilize all the eggs, the unfertilized eggs will surely get fungus. So, I'm wondering if the male isn't getting all of them fertilized when he does his duty.

On the uaru forum, someone had recommended keeping the eggs in complete darkness until hatching as this would help prevent the fungus from growing, but I question this because I don't think fungus is photophobic.

Any suggestions on the best water temp for hatching?

If you are getting more white egg then good ones I would start to question your fish fertility. Or maybe he is slacking on his dutys.

They laid a good number of eggs (~50) on a piece of slate this past Sunday night or Monday morning. Before pulling them, I did a 50% water change on the hatchery tank. I pulled them on Monday and put in the hatchery tank with an airstone blowing bubbles over them. I also taped newspaper over the tank to block light. On Wednesday, I had about 20 wigglers.

Sweet!! Congrats now raising the fry i find to be the hard part.

Yep--raising the fry is also a challenge. I'm now down to 2 fry from the batch of 20 wigglers. They're eating and growing, but, as you may know, it's a slow process. I'm feeding them Hikari First Bites and Azoo 9-in-1 artificial rotifera. I've had good results with this food in the past.

The parents decided to dig a hole in the gravel and lay their last two batches of eggs on the undergravel filter plate. I guess they were tired of me pulling the eggs. Haha! This is the first time I've had Uaru's do this. Time to bury a piece of red slate where they are digging.

Good luck with the fry. Hope you get some more and we all love photos so feel free to show off your fish.

Most reactions

Back