any one saw the u.d catfish before?

kevin007

Hmmm...cories
Reaction score
has any one saw the upside down cats before, they were awsome, first they rest then they go at the middle of the tank and then they fliped upside down and swim, oh they r so cute :hyper: i would really want one, how big do they get and r they community fish? i also saw some lion fish to day and they were kewl! :lol: i wanted them too but they seemed poisonus and they get pretty big for a 10 gallon with 6 fish, i think my tank is already too crowded.lol i want a new tank! a bigger 1.
i also saw some african mudskippers, there were like 30 of them in a 20 long gallon tank. :hyper:

There was and upside-down cat at my lfs, it was really cool. The are very peaceful and very good at scavenging for extra food lying around. In captivity, they get around 4".

Check out their profile on Planetcatfish, we have 2 upsidedown cats and they hide all day long. I think this is because we only have 2 and they need to be with a group of their own kind. Whenever the 2 we have see each other they start to fight....I think we'll get 3 more in the near future and see if that helps any.

I have 4 upside down cats. Got them all at about 1 - 1 1/2 inches in February and 1 has stayed the same, 1 has grown an inch, and the other two are nearly 4 inches already!!!! They are very interesting fish and do hide a fair bit, the largest one hangs under a large piece of bogwood in the centre of the tank (20 gal) and hardly lets the others under there. :sly:

Don't disturb any other fish (apart from scrambling for sinking pellets or brine shrimp with the clowns at feeding time - grreat fun to watch!! :lol: ) and seem very hardy and easy to keep. I've read they can get up to 6 inches so may have to move them at a later stage.

Highly recommended. After a few months they come out of their shell a bit and are not as jittery (I believe they are mostly wild caught??) as they get used to you being at the tank. Will now even swim over my hand to grab some frozen brine shrimp!! :hyper: They do scavenge for food - mostly at night and feeding time, but don't each much algae. They also like a well planted tank for extra hiding places.

think thats everything!

It depends what kind of Upside Down Catfish you get, certain fish are 'sold' as U.D. CF but are not true ones, and can grow to about 8 or so inches.

the true standard issue upside down catfish only get 4" I have a bunch of them. You should know however, they are nocturnal, so you prolly wont see them much.

mayby i will, cause at fridays and saturdays, i sleep at around 2:00am -3:00am, i know............................, i sleep pretty late at night......

Most reactions

Back