Any Ideas On How to Harden Water

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

redtailshark34

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello once again!
I have very soft water (not really sure why) that comes out of my tap. I was interested in getting some platies, guppies, or mollies (not quite sure yet) and I’ve read that they all need harder waters. Is there anyway to make the gH of water go up?

Hello once again!
I have very soft water (not really sure why) that comes out of my tap. I was interested in getting some platies, guppies, or mollies (not quite sure yet) and I’ve read that they all need harder waters. Is there anyway to make the gH of water go up?
Oh, please do swap with me!! My water is hard as rocks! Wouldn't mind a little switch!

Rift Lake water conditioner is designed to increase the pH, GH & KH of water for African Rift Lake cichlids. It can be used at a lower dose rate to increase the GH for livebearers, goldfish and rainbowfish.
yes, corals also work for me i think
I will be considering both these options, thanks everyone.

I trust there re no soft water species involved, as in their best interest they will be healthier with the softer water and there is no "middle ground," esp with mollies. In other words, the tank with the "harder" water is suited to livebearers only. There are always exceptions, but this is a basic generality.

I trust there re no soft water species involved, as in their best interest they will be healthier with the softer water and there is no "middle ground," esp with mollies. In other words, the tank with the "harder" water is suited to livebearers only. There are always exceptions, but this is a basic generality.
Oh yes, no living creatures in there currently. I was looking into getting some livebearers and from what I read they naturally like harder water.

Oh yes, no living creatures in there currently. I was looking into getting some livebearers and from what I read they naturally like harder water.

Not just like, they absolutely must have it to live. My point was that soft water fish like tetras do not, they do better in soft water. There is no real "middle ground so it is either soft or hard water with appropriate fish. But there are some "moderate" species, so it is not cut and dried. But as you have soft water, it will be better for soft water fish than making it any harder.

Not just like, they absolutely must have it to live. My point was that soft water fish like tetras do not, they do better in soft water. There is no real "middle ground so it is either soft or hard water with appropriate fish. But there are some "moderate" species, so it is not cut and dried. But as you have soft water, it will be better for soft water fish than making it any harder.
Okay, thanks for the reply.

Water hardness (GH) is strictly a measure of calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg) in the water. All animals and plants need Ca and Mg to live. If you don't have any the plants and animalism the tank would die. Some do well in soft waterwheel others do best in harder water.

corals and limestone contains mostly calcium with some magnesium. Adding this to the tank will add some GH but in my experience it only increase GH by 1 or 2 degrees. How much of a increase you get will depend on your water chemistry. it alone would probably not b enough to reach a GH your fish will like). Themain reason it doesn't cause a larger GH increase is that mainly dissolves in acidic water. The lower the pH the faster it resolves. As it dissolve it pushes the PH up. Once the PH reaches 7 it stops dissolving

To increase your GH more you need calcium and magnesium materials that will resolve at all PH levels. Two such materials is (calcium sulfate) Gypsum and magnesium sulfate (Epson salt). There are many GH sulfate boosters on the market Seachem Equilebrium is one such product. Other GH boosters use calcium chloride and Magnesium chloride. Brackish water is a mix of fresh water and ocean salt water that is often founding river deltas Guppys prefer this water. So a chloride GH booster might be the best choice for your aquarium.

Note many GHbooster also contain potassium. Potassium doesn't affect the GH value of your water. Also potassium is also pressent in fertilizer. Other GH booster contain other additive such a calcium or sodium bicarbonate to increase KH and PH. To achieve a specific KH and or achieve a specific PH. My preference is to have a GH booster that has just calcium and magnesium, use a plant fertilizer to add potassium, and a sperate KH booster if you have a specific KH target in mind.

Other products have Calcium magnesium, and other ingredients to match water parameter the fish experiencesinits natural environment. The Seachem cichlid rift lake water conditioner contains Ca and Mg chloride as well as some sodium potassium, iron zinc and iodine All of which fish need for good growth and health.

Water hardness (GH) is strictly a measure of calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg) in the water. All animals and plants need Ca and Mg to live. If you don't have any the plants and animalism the tank would die. Some do well in soft waterwheel others do best in harder water.

corals and limestone contains mostly calcium with some magnesium. Adding this to the tank will add some GH but in my experience it only increase GH by 1 or 2 degrees. How much of a increase you get will depend on your water chemistry. it alone would probably not b enough to reach a GH your fish will like). Themain reason it doesn't cause a larger GH increase is that mainly dissolves in acidic water. The lower the pH the faster it resolves. As it dissolve it pushes the PH up. Once the PH reaches 7 it stops dissolving

To increase your GH more you need calcium and magnesium materials that will resolve at all PH levels. Two such materials is (calcium sulfate) Gypsum and magnesium sulfate (Epson salt). There are many GH sulfate boosters on the market Seachem Equilebrium is one such product. Other GH boosters use calcium chloride and Magnesium chloride. Brackish water is a mix of fresh water and ocean salt water that is often founding river deltas Guppys prefer this water. So a chloride GH booster might be the best choice for your aquarium.

Note many GHbooster also contain potassium. Potassium doesn't affect the GH value of your water. Also potassium is also pressent in fertilizer. Other GH booster contain other additive such a calcium or sodium bicarbonate to increase KH and PH. To achieve a specific KH and or achieve a specific PH. My preference is to have a GH booster that has just calcium and magnesium, use a plant fertilizer to add potassium, and a sperate KH booster if you have a specific KH target in mind.

Other products have Calcium magnesium, and other ingredients to match water parameter the fish experiencesinits natural environment. The Seachem cichlid rift lake water conditioner contains Ca and Mg chloride as well as some sodium potassium, iron zinc and iodine All of which fish need for good growth and health.
Thank you for all the good information.

Most reactions

Back