Any idea what this plant is?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I find it interesting that 2 shrimps sellers - one in the US and one in the UK - both had this in the bag of shrimps. Do shrimp breeders like it?
I hadn't heard of it, had to look on T'internet, but might speculate that it is invasive rather than desirable.

I read that it can form mats floating under the surface and even flower. But mine is going, it's tangling itself through the Java moss. I know it'll take ages, and I may never get rid of it completely but the more I remove the better.

That sounds logical.
maybe all the little buggers get eaten because they usually live in a shrimp breeder tank? maybe they want you to discard or it is a source of food for shrimp?

Shrimps need something in the bag to stand on when they are shipped. A lot of sellers use a bit of filter floss or a bit of moss or a bit of plant. I can't remember what else was in the bag with the shrimps I bought but there was also one strand of this plant which presumably came from the tank the shrimps were in when the seller caught them. The question is whether the bladderwort just happened to be in the tank or whether it was deliberately put into the tank to eat the little things that fish would normally eat in our tanks - shrimp breeders will have shrimp-only tanks, they don't want any fish eating their shrimps.

Shrimps need something in the bag to stand on when they are shipped. A lot of sellers use a bit of filter floss or a bit of moss or a bit of plant. I can't remember what else was in the bag with the shrimps I bought but there was also one strand of this plant which presumably came from the tank the shrimps were in when the seller caught them. The question is whether the bladderwort just happened to be in the tank or whether it was deliberately put into the tank to eat the little things that fish would normally eat in our tanks - shrimp breeders will have shrimp-only tanks, they don't want any fish eating their shrimps.
by that i mean like other little pest shrimp and larvae. that is very good info. thanks. i always see java moss in my lfs shrimp tank

In a fish store's shrimp tank I once saw every shrimp in the bare bottomed tank trying to stand on the half coconut shell the store had put in the tank. There were more shrimps than would fit on the coconut shell, and some were trying to stand on top of the shrimps on the coconut.
Shrimps like to be on things, even if it's another shrimp :lol:

In a fish store's shrimp tank I once saw every shrimp in the bare bottomed tank trying to stand on the half coconut shell the store had put in the tank. There were more shrimps than would fit on the coconut shell, and some were trying to stand on top of the shrimps on the coconut.
Shrimps like to be on things, even if it's another shrimp :lol:
hehe lol. i have lots of rocks and algae and amazon sword for them to stand on! really looking forward to getting fire red shrimps, and amanos to maybe help with algae. fire red shrimps breed in freshwtaer right?

Google says they are a variety of cherry shrimp, Neocaridina davidi, so yes they will breed. If there are fish in the tank they will eat baby shrimps though some with survive if there are plenty of hiding places. Newly hatched shrimps are tiny. About 1 mm long. My main shrimp tank is my small one, 23 litres/6 gallons, and has only red cherry shrimps and one nerite snail. I do a water change using a bucket and go through the old water with a jug checking it for babies. There were 4 tiny shrimps and one half grown in the bucket this afternoon.

Yup, that's Utricularia gibba. One of my other interests is carnivorous plants. Believe it or not, I added to my aquarium on purpose. Along with Utricularia graminifolia. It's a weakness. I like them both in there.
No thanks, I like my ostracods. If I find these plants in my tanks, I'll be sending them to you with the kelp. :huh:

Google says they are a variety of cherry shrimp, Neocaridina davidi, so yes they will breed. If there are fish in the tank they will eat baby shrimps though some with survive if there are plenty of hiding places. Newly hatched shrimps are tiny. About 1 mm long. My main shrimp tank is my small one, 23 litres/6 gallons, and has only red cherry shrimps and one nerite snail. I do a water change using a bucket and go through the old water with a jug checking it for babies. There were 4 tiny shrimps and one half grown in the bucket this afternoon.
ill just keep them in the breeder(the ones i want to breed) my guppies are usually very peaceful... cories might eat them?

Definitely doesn’t eat shrimp fry. I had it in my 20g long and my 10g for a while, before it died off. (Both of which had cherry shrimp, and both of which kept a steady population of them)

ill just keep them in the breeder(the ones i want to breed) my guppies are usually very peaceful... cories might eat them?
Are you asking if Corys will eat shrimp fry?

If so, I haven’t experienced it. I have Julii Cory cats in my 20g long and 29g tank, along with a big colony of Cherry Shrimp. Maybe they eat them when I’m not looking? But they are lazy, and like crushed pellets. :lol:

Are you asking if Corys will eat shrimp fry?

If so, I haven’t experienced it. I have Julii Cory cats in my 20g long and 29g tank, along with a big colony of Cherry Shrimp. Maybe they eat them when I’m not looking? But they are lazy, and like crushed pellets. :lol:
my little cories are full of energy all the time, and like to hang out with guppies at the top sometimes. i might regret feeding them brine shrimp, as i will do that later, ill use bloodworms because i dont want them getting used to eating baby sthimps...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back