Any idea what this plant is?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
This plant? algae? moss? arrived with some shrimp a few months ago. It is growing through the Java moss in the shrimp tank and I have no idea what it is.

It is long very thin, brittle stems with a small pair of leaves at intervals along the stem. As you can see in the photo, it's mainly stem. Do I leave it in the tank or remove it whenever I see a bit?
The pot in the photo is 6 cm or 2.25 inches across the bottom to give an idea of scale.

what is it.JPG

what is it 2.JPG

I've had that plant shipped to me in a shrimp order as well, but no idea what it is, I discarded it.

No clue what it is, but I have similar stuff in my 10g tank:
1E42DEFE-B646-4F01-87F5-3D5B10FCBDF7.jpeg
It used to be this:
932F0212-7E00-49B2-983C-FEF42EBF3211.png
It melted rather quickly though. :/

This plant? algae? moss? arrived with some shrimp a few months ago. It is growing through the Java moss in the shrimp tank and I have no idea what it is.

It is long very thin, brittle stems with a small pair of leaves at intervals along the stem. As you can see in the photo, it's mainly stem. Do I leave it in the tank or remove it whenever I see a bit?
The pot in the photo is 6 cm or 2.25 inches across the bottom to give an idea of scale.

View attachment 129765

View attachment 129766
Dwarf bladderwort. A carnivorous pest plant. I struggled with it a few years back, grows very fast, wraps around other plants and each piece that breaks off can form a whole new plant. Not fun to deal with ime.

Dwarf bladderwort. A carnivorous pest plant. I struggled with it a few years back, grows very fast, wraps around other plants and each piece that breaks off can form a whole new plant. Not fun to deal with ime.
Glad I tossed it!

yay no more stealing the baby shrimps!
java moss is better

Thanks for the ID :)

I've been picking it out of the Java moss, that was today's crop during the water change. I'll be more vigilant from now on.

I just googled it to find the latin name and see there's someone on US Ebay selling it as an aquarium micro-pest killer :unsure:

Thanks for the ID :)

I've been picking it out of the Java moss, that was today's crop during the water change. I'll be more vigilant from now on.

I just googled it to find the latin name and see there's someone on US Ebay selling it as an aquarium micro-pest killer :unsure:
i think it will just kill the baby shrimps.

I find it interesting that 2 shrimps sellers - one in the US and one in the UK - both had this in the bag of shrimps. Do shrimp breeders like it?

Yup, that's Utricularia gibba. One of my other interests is carnivorous plants. Believe it or not, I added to my aquarium on purpose. Along with Utricularia graminifolia. It's a weakness. I like them both in there.

I find it interesting that 2 shrimps sellers - one in the US and one in the UK - both had this in the bag of shrimps. Do shrimp breeders like it?
maybe it is cheap and does not harm adukt shrimp and kills all the other little larvae and little shrimps and bugs in the bag? looks pretty cool ngl

i saw it on some sorta documentary, and it snaps really fast and eats small shrimp and bugs

Apparently this species of bladderwort doesn't eat fry or shrimplets. Looking at the stuff in my shrimp tank, even a newly hatched shrimplet would be too big to fit in one of the bladders. It may be that the stuff in my tank is smaller than most Utricularia gibba.

Due to the fact that shrimp only tanks don't have predators for populations of copepods, worms, rotifers and such, dwarf bladderwort can be useful. Especially as it shouldn't harm shrimp/shrimplets.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back