Anubias Java fern on wood

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Zoeeannee

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 3 tanks all of which have Java fern and anubias growing on wood and/or lava rock. All three tanks have the same lighting. In one of my tanks the anubias and Java fern is not growing well on the wood and is rotting/dying. These plants came from the same supplier that some of my plants in other tanks came from so I donā€™t think itā€™s an issue with them being grown partly submerged instead of fully submerged.

The only differences I can think of are;
- The tank Iā€™m struggling with is a couple degrees Celsius higher than the others
- the wood in this tank is redmoor whereas the others are bogwood. The redmoor seemed to release more tannins but is no longer doing so.

Could these be the problems? Any other things you can think of? Water parameters are all good in all tanks.

Java fern needs potassium according to master aquatic horticulturist Bentley Pascoe (whom you can find on YouTube)....FYI. Anubias needs micronutrients such as boron and molybdenum to flower. I know you're not trying to make the anubias flower, but if it is flowering it would seem to be a happy plant.

@Aqua67 So two of my anubias have flowered in my other tanks (which I was very excited about!! lol) and my Java ferns are growing so many baby Java ferns that I have to pick some off to not overrun the tank, however the plants in the tank I mentioned are not doing well at all. Cannot understand why. The only difference (apart from fish species and tank size) is the type of wood Iā€™m growing them on.

Iā€™ve now moved these pieces of wood into my tank that grows plants very well - moving from a 75L to 300L - to see if they do any better. Although I know that larger tanks have more stable water parameters, the water parameters are the sameā€¦ weā€™ll have to see how they get on unless anyone has any suggestions??

Java fern needs potassium according to master aquatic horticulturist Bentley Pascoe (whom you can find on YouTube)....FYI. Anubias needs micronutrients such as boron and molybdenum to flower. I know you're not trying to make the anubias flower, but if it is flowering it would seem to be a happy plant.
Java ferns dont need potassium... The potassium helps but I dont add any nutrients to my java fern and anubias tank
0310221051.jpg

Temperature shouldn't be an issue with java fern, however if the temp is a few degrees higher than where it has previously established into a plant then it may struggle whilst it adapts and suffer some melt.

AAt
Temperature shouldn't be an issue with java fern, however if the temp is a few degrees higher than where it has previously established into a plant then it may struggle whilst it adapts and suffer some melt.
At one time my tanks temp was at 82Ā°F! The ferns and anubias handled it like a champ!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back