Ants and Aphids

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Oblio

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Awhile back I noticed a few ants on my Basil and didn't think much of it, extra protein and all. Recently I've noticed the top leaves tightly bunched but still green and loaded with ants. I pinched one bunch off and found it was loaded with aphids, and ants too.

Question: I assume the ants are eating the aphids, will they finish them off?, or should I nuke it from orbit to be sure?

All in the leaf were alive? Or were there live predators, and dead prey, saved as snacks for later?

Small ants, color? What about the aphids?

All in the leaf were alive? Or were there live predators, and dead prey, saved as snacks for later?

Small ants, color? What about the aphids?
I can't recall. I'll try to post a pic later along with observations as we are getting much needed rain :)
Small ants, brown, thankfully not fire ants. Aphids are greenish yellow as I recall.

Pics

Attachments

• 3D094E91-E626-4C3A-8146-4DDC0D950000.jpeg
    3D094E91-E626-4C3A-8146-4DDC0D950000.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 66
  • DEBFD1AD-72F7-442C-9F9F-3E019F03FFA4.jpeg
    DEBFD1AD-72F7-442C-9F9F-3E019F03FFA4.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 66
Wow...that is an ACTIVE aphid community, members of all ages

I'd try Sevin dust, follow the directions, treat for the recommended time...and of course, rinse well before consuming

The ants are farming the aphids for honeydew.

DO NOT USE CHEMICALS ON THEM.

These are a great food for your fish.

Put a plastic container under the leaf/ bud or branch and gently tap/ shake the aphids and ants into the bucket. Then feed to fish or put a lid on the container and freeze for later use.

The ants are farming the aphids for honeydew.

DO NOT USE CHEMICALS ON THEM.

These are a great food for your fish.

Put a plastic container under the leaf/ bud or branch and gently tap/ shake the aphids and ants into the bucket. Then feed to fish or put a lid on the container and freeze for later use.
Didn't want to shake off so I just clipped the bunch off and swirled in the tank and the aphids plus a tiny worm dislodged for a meal.

Perfect fish food.

Here's your thought of the day: certain types of ants farm aphids.

I have a new insect study to research...thanks for this thread, @Oblio

Can someone please delete my suggestion on pesticides, please?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back