Another tank with Yellow water

crookedfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have just set up a new tank (Boyu HX-800) with 4 pieces of bog wood in it. I soaked and scrubbed the bogwood before putting in the tank (same way as my other tank and had no problems), but the water is turning yellow. I did a 90% water change last night (no fish in the tank) and the water was nice and clear but has turned yellow again. I have put some Activated carbon filter media into the filter system but doesnt seem to be doing anything.

What can I do?

Si

brianriv said:
I have read that people use charcoal to get rid of the tannin from the bogwood. HTH
charcoal(shiny black) will do nothing at all for a fishtank. Activated carbon like he said he added will help remove some coloring till it gets overloaded.

How long was the bogwood soaked for? it can sometimes take a few weeks for the tannis to completely come out. I think FM said he uses something like a seachem purigen to remove tannins.

I boiled my bogwood in a large pan for about a day, then soaked it for 3 weeks. This removed most of the tannin, but still got a slight tint to the water. Took it out after about 6 months and got rocks instead!

Thanks for the info peeps. I only soaked it for a day, so that may be my problem. I just can't understand why my other tank isn't the same. The bogwood came from the same LFS and didn't have any sign of yellow water.

Tanin isn't harmful to the fish though is it?

If the tanin isn't a problem to the fish, I will just have to be patient.

Si

The tannin is slightly acidic, so if ur PH is already on the acidic side it could cause problems, but otherwise no.

I soaked mine for WEEKS, replacing the water with fresh boiling water every day, and it still tinted the water a little! what kind of fish do you have? some might be averse to it.

our 15gal is always yellow.... 9 mounts after setting it up... that was after boiling the bogwood for 4-5 hours and leaving it soaking for days :)

the fish dont mind it though :)

I also boiled my bogwood and have had my tank since April it still is a bit yellow. I was warned about this effect when i bought bogwood, but i rather like it, in my tank it makes the water look a bit natural. I suggest you take your bogwood out and boil it for a day or so, the water will still be very yellow after a few water changes but then it goes lighter.

I wouldn't worry about it. Some fish quite like tannin stained water as it's slightly acidic, particularly tetras and aussie natives like rainbow fish.

Most reactions

Back