Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I now have the following in my 37 gal:

1 ex large pleco
1 small chinese algae eater
3 female convicts
2 tiger barbs
2 orange fin loaches

I'm looking for further stocking suggestions.

F1

tiger barbas like to be kept in groups of 6 or more so maybe you can get a couple more of those

same with loaches

I had 9 tiger barbs before the convicts started breeding. That's also why I only have three female convicts left. I took all babies and the breeding male to the lfs.

The orange fin loaches (botia modesta) are considerably more aggressive than the clown loaches in my other tank. A lot of the same behaviors, just more aggressive toward other fish.

More tiger barbs might be a good idea though. Thanks

I was thinking of different species though.

F1

Whats your substrate?
The only reason I ask is because you could try corries :) They perfer sand however.

It's rather course gravel.

This tank is quite tall and I have a lot of room at the top. I'm sort of looking for an upper level dweller that can stand up for itself.

F1

I don't know much about those loaches or convicts, or cichlids in general for that matter :p, but I doubt they'll be breeding any time soon (obviously) so I don't suppose the aggression would be that bad... and if your tank's realy tall they wont get in the way... so why not try some larger gouramies? Considering its only a 37 gallon though, you don't want to add too many large fish. You can try 3 three-spot gouramies, a male and 2 females, they can sometimes do well with cichlids that aren't too aggressivve but give them lots of floating plants and places to hide if the other fish get too agressive for them. Also be prepaired for things to not work out as planned... If I'm completely wrong about the suitability of gouramies and these fish, try some rosy barbs. They're attractive fish, large and fast enough to escape agressive fish. Also do add some more tiger barbs... They are beautiful in a realy large shoal and if you want the gouramies you will need to increase the number of tiger barbs in the hope that they don't nip the gouramies' ventrals as much. You could also try giant danios though I don't know how well they'd do, you'll need to find large ones or they'll get eaten... they are very fast though :)

Terrific suggestions sylvia!

Except for the male/female combination. I'm through breeding. While the whole family enjoyed the breeding and resulting convict fry, it's too much bother to keep trying to get rid of fry.

Larger gouramis, rosy barbs, more tiger barbs.

I'm also contemplating Angels.

F1

Most reactions

Back