Another question: what do you do with your dead fish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I have various way to do it :)

1. Put it in resin
2. Preserved them in a bottle of formalin
3. Clearing and staining (I’m still finding an easy way to do it so I use a picture from the museum)
2BED23F7-9378-46F6-B40E-4FD1E5B97557.jpeg

4. Stuffed them (I just finished this today! took almost 6 months)
28E3D130-FC74-4A49-9D91-F79FFD9962B3.jpeg

5. Let the meal worms ate them and collect the skeleton later.

1. Put it in resin
3. Clearing and staining (I’m still finding an easy way to do it so I use a picture from the museum)
View attachment 138453

View attachment 138454

That is sooo impressive! I thought someone might go as far as preserving in resin, but the rest is amazing!

I make sure if he died of disease or old age if it is a disease I will bury it in my veggie garden, if it was old age I will feed it to my turtle (either way it gets to do 1 last important task), I love all my fish but I am guilty of loving some of my fish more than others, those get their own little special burial place in my garden.
I never flush any fish down the toilet since it can be devastating to local ecosystems

that would probably rot
and is rather disgusting LOL

i bury em in the vegetable garden
free ferts.
make a little grave and give them flowers once in a while
Oh my gosh I forgot to specify they would preserve them in their own little embalming fluid

1. Put it in resin
View attachment 138453

View attachment 138454

That plec looks fantastic.
So far I've only preserved shrimp molts (I put them in a jar of surgical spirit) but I'm thinking about getting some proper stuff when I'm able to. Might preserve my SP when he eventually goes. Will need a big jar (hopefully).

Bury them. Years ago I would preserve my favorites in a jar in formalin, they loose there color after awhile and the jars just got pushed to the back of the shelf, so I stopped doing that.

You can use alcohol to preserve them too. Use 25% alcohol (75% distilled water) and put the fish in it for 48 hours. Then put the fish into a new solution of 25% alcohol and seal the container up. Replace the solution if it starts to evaporate.

Alcohol preserves DNA unlike formaldehyde, and it's safer for you too.

You can use alcohol to preserve them too. Use 25% alcohol (75% distilled water) and put the fish in it for 48 hours. Then put the fish into a new solution of 25% alcohol and seal the container up. Replace the solution if it starts to evaporate.

Alcohol preserves DNA unlike formaldehyde, and it's safer for you too.
Ooh, didn't know that!

Did you know that shrimp molts turn red in alcohol? Like how when crustaceans are cooked they turn red, the shrimp husks do the same in a high concentration of alcohol. The two that I've got right now have only just become a less intense peachy colour in the last month or so.

You don't need alchohol for shrimp molts, you pin it on styrofoam like when you did it with moth and butterflies.

Attachments

• 1623765994373.png
    1623765994373.png
    1 MB · Views: 51
One of the guys at the pet shop used hair spray on his shrimp molts and even some dead fish. He set them up how he wanted them, and then applied several coats of hair spray. I'm not sure how long they lasted but if they are sealed up airtight, they should last a while.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back