Another Problem - Platy Bulging Belly But I Think It's Male!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Taurus

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Have a sunburst platy whose belly was slightly bulgy when we got it but thought that was normal. Now it's belly is massively bulgy. Thought I saw a pointy fin and it was sold to me as male so either I'm wrong and it's now a pregnant female (all I need) or a very poorly male.

Without a picture of it, there's no way really we can help. THere are a number of issues which cause a bulging belly, constipation, dropsy, tumour. Are the fish's scales pointing out, making the fish look like a pinecone?

photo.JPG  sorry I could've sworn I attached this once!

No probs. It's definitely a male.

That could easily be overfeeding. Fast the fish for 3 days, and see if the swelling goes down.

They've been on very very little food past 3 days because I have ammonia issues in my tank. Could it be stress/dropsy? :(

Ah, didn't realise that. It could be dropsy, but it doesn't look like the fish's scales are standing on end. A fish with dropsy looks like a pinecone or an upset porcupine. Also, it's only around the stomach area, the rear end looks normal. So I don't think it's that.

THe ammonia could easily have left it susceptible to a bacterial infection, or possibly a tumour, though I think the latter is less likely.

well, sadly the poor thing died that night. I suck at keeping fish :(

Most reactions

trending

Back