Another Newbie Seeking Advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mdskids

Reaction score
Hi there.  Newbie here, so please be gentle!

I’m just starting to set up a tank for my daughter, and was looking for some advice.  I was given an approx 80 litre tank (all we have room for I’m afraid), which now has in it well washed aquarium sand, tap water, dechlorinator, and a handful of easy/low light plants (Hygrophilia, Cryptocoryne, Anubias).  We’re eagerly awaiting the arrival by post of a Fluval U2 filter and API master water testing kit so I can start a fishless cycle.

In the meantime, we need to make some decisions about fish!

I like the idea (financially!) of running a temperate (ie indoor unheated) tank, maybe with the following:

1 Paradise fish
6 White Cloud Mountain Minnows
4 Peppered Cory Cats

I’m not sure about the Cory Cats, because I’ve read conflicting things as to whether they
are suitable for an unheated tank.  Our house is old with thick stone walls, so although it’s not that warm, the temperature is fairly stable.

Alternatively we could go down the tropical route (which my daughter would clearly prefer)
but at a fairly moderate 72F/22C, in which case, we might get:

1 Betta
6 Neon Tetras
4 Peppered Cory Cats

Any comments on these stock selections?  I realise that I’m probably pushing the limit of what we an put in a tank of this size, but it’s a compromise between having some variety and a reasonable shoal size.

Any  alternative suggestions for a solitary ‘big’ fish in the tropical set-up?  What about
an equally colourful alternative the Neons, as I understand they are not so easy for a first tank?  Are 4 Cory Cats a big enough group size?

We’re in West Cumbria, so we’re a little limited to suppliers, so our choice may well be
limited – these is a LFS nearby which I haven’t been to yet (Aquapets), failing that, there is a Pets@Home and a Dobbies not too far away.

One other question.  The tank gets a little natural light (though no direct sunlight) but I realise I will need some artificial lighting to keep the live plants happy. Given that my plant should be happy in fairly low light, would a single CFL in the hood be sufficient?

Many thanks in advance for your patient advice!

If you are setting up the tank for your daughter, and your daughter would prefer tropical, then surely that's an answer to your question? But in any case, because WCMMs come from mountainous streams, they are pretty zipply little fish, and so like a lot more room than an 80l will give them to stretch their fins.

Regarding stocking, cories of any species need to be in a group of 6. You could try a Fighter (aka Betta), 6 cardinal tetra (like the neon only betterer) and 6 panda cories (somewhat smaller than the peppered). You could also look at Celestial Pearl Danios x 8 instead of either tetra.

There is a Maidenhead Aquatics near Carlisle, as a chain they do a very good job, in my experience. I personally don't like Pets @ Home as I can't get away from the feeling that I'm being sold fish by a guinea pig expert.

I'll let others comment upon the lighting issue, as I don't class that as my area of expertise.....

Here is an article about non heated aquariums. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/whaddaya-mean-too-hot/
The paradise fish will get to large, the Betta needs temps closer to 78F, so i would say those are out. There are many temperate species that are sold as tropicals, most Danios fall into this category. Though in an 80L celestial pearl danios are your best choice. Most cory cats can do very well at lower temps, so the recommended pandas would be good. As for a "large" center piece fish, I would actually just add some male fancy guppies, maybe 4 of them. Variatus Platies also do well in unheated tanks.
About the light, yes a single CFL should be just fine.

the_lock_man said:
If you are setting up the tank for your daughter, and your daughter would prefer tropical, then surely that's an answer to your question? 

Fair point - I guess I've got so absorbed with all the research, I've come to think of it as 'our' or even 'my' tank... The fish she likes the look of are invariably the more brightly coloured ones, but I hoped she might come around to seeing that there's more to fish than just their colours.  After all, what she originally wanted was a goldfish, but I managed to change her mind on that.

thereverendturtle said:
Here is an article about non heated aquariums. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/whaddaya-mean-too-hot/
The paradise fish will get to large, the Betta needs temps closer to 78F, so i would say those are out. There are many temperate species that are sold as tropicals, most Danios fall into this category. Though in an 80L celestial pearl danios are your best choice. Most cory cats can do very well at lower temps, so the recommended pandas would be good. As for a "large" center piece fish, I would actually just add some male fancy guppies, maybe 4 of them. Variatus Platies also do well in unheated tanks.
About the light, yes a single CFL should be just fine.

That's a really interesting article - even for someone like me with no experience of keeping fish (but with a scientific background). Assuming I do go for a temperate tank, are there any issues with buying fish which can cope with a lower temp (such as those you've mentioned) but have been kept at tropical temps in the shop (and have probably been at these temps for all their captive life).  Is it enough to acclimatize them as you normally would for any new fish, or will it have to be slower because of the temperature drop?  Even if we go down the temperate route, I'll probably need to get a heater anyway (they're not exactly expensive) and use it sparingly (this is Cumbria after all, not California), so maybe I could introduce the fish to a more tropical tank, but then slowly drop the temperature a few degrees over the course of a few weeks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back