FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chad

Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
newtetra.jpg
I love tetra, pretty much all of them...no, not pretty much...all of them! The idea of a new species excites me. I wonder how long before this beauty makes it into the hobby. 

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/a-new-unique-hyphessobrycon

Oooooh! Want!

Oh, yes, I want 6 of them. Small enough for nano tanks, too.

the_lock_man said:
Oh, yes, I want 6 of them. Small enough for nano tanks, too.
That's one of the things I really like about them. They have the look of an emperor tetra without the size. 

tcamos said:
That's one of the things I really like about them. They have the look of an emperor tetra without the size.
That's exactly what I was thinking; they are very much like a mini emperor. They're going to be very much in demand when they hit the shops!

That fish (in the photo) bears a striking resemblance to another species, Hyphessobrycon metae.  And the other photos in the linked article have a resemblance to other species, thinking primarily of H. peruvianus, but H. loretoensis is also within this complex.  There are also a couple other recently-described species that are close.

The genus Hyphessobrycon is one that needs taxonomic revision as it is not well defined and is unquestionably polyphyletic.  Hemigrammus is very closely related, having until recently been differentiated from Hyphessobrycon solely on the basis of the fish in Hemigrammus possessing a scaled caudal fin; this however is now known to be unreliable, since it occurs in intermediate conditions (de Lucina, 2003).  These two genera, along with several others, are classified within the family Characidae, but this entire family is incertae sedis, which means literally of uncertain placement.  Several studies have pointed this out, but the task of reclassification of the hundreds of species is vast and it will be some time before it is sorted out.  The many species are indeed beautiful.

Byron.

I'm sure things will settle in terms of species names. That usually doesn't get hashed out fully until DNA is done. 

It is pretty, but since I know I am almost certain to never see them in Australia, I think I will stick with my most desired fish Rhadinocentrus ornatus.

Is that just do to import restrictions? 

oh wow ... they are lovely. I want 
yes.gif

I don't think not getting this one to Australia would be due to import restrictions, more a case of "not enough people will want them."

I've been looking for Celestial Pearl Danios (Galaxy Rasboras) for over a year now, but nobody has them in this country that I've found. They were around, but now they're not, so I doubt many LFS will bother sourcing these new ones in enough numbers to have them at an acceptable price. And the big chains will almost certainly pass on them ("why don't you just get a handful of Neon Tetras? We have them").

Having said that, I can buy a pair of Motoro Stingrays locally for the low low price of $2500 a pair...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back