Annual Killifish.. Need Breeding Advice Please.

FreedomFighter

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok as mentioned in a different thread i'm looking at different types of annual killifish.

But of course, these little blighters live roughly for only one year.

So if I were to get a couple of males, and a whole army of females, and create a tank with a peat substrate and leave them to their own devices (ie, no more than feed and water change) will they breed?

If they breed, is it required to take the eggs out for storage, or can they be left in the peat in the tank to hatch whenever?? As the idea of having to take the eggs out sounds like a pain, and we're not planning on selling Killis, just keeping them for our own gain.

tl;dr? Can killi eggs be left in the tank with parents to hatch, or do they have to be removed?

They all need a diapause period. Different species, different diapauses. They have developed with nature to suite their natural habitats seasonal rainfall.
They will breed in a tank you have suggested although 2 males is asking for trouble I use 4:10 male/female ratio.
C

So they have to be removed. Oh well, its either change ideas or set up a vivarium for egg keeping (house is about 4degrees c during winter, probably no more than 14c during summer)

Move House :lol:
No, a small cupboard with a light bulb is all you need.
C

Move House :lol:
No, a small cupboard with a light bulb is all you need.
C

Normal light or heatlamp??

That's an incredibly simple solution! (i'm well known for overlooking the simple answer)

Picture640.jpg

I use an 18w Daylight Spectrum, Mini Spiral

is that a daphnia colony I see aswell?

I was considering starting up a daphnia colony in the same lighted area.

Thanks for the help, really useful stuff.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back