Angry at Petco. :angry:

staredecisis

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
After having just shopped at 2 different Wal-Marts for Bettas, I was very happy to see they had updated their Betta cup size by at least double. I cruise on down to Petco who still has the small Betta cups in which their fins can't even completely stretch out, and what do I see?? To my horror, I see SMALLER BETTA CUPS. They were cut in height by half. The Bettas were in about an inch of water, and their fins were curled up. Needless to say the water was looking terribly unhealthy, full of waste. This was very disheartening to me, I wish people would knock it off with the cups. We all get it, Bettas CAN live in small amounts of dirty water, but it makes them depressed and sick. :(

Well, anyways I decided to buy one of them, wish I could have rescued them all but I have no where to put them. I asked the clerk at the counter why on earth they DOWNSIZED their cups, she said that is just how they shipped. So I brought him home, and he's in a 1 gal bowl for now until I can get a better setup. He was looking very poor when I finally released him into the water, slumping down at the bottom with a very unhealthy color to his face. I tried to get him to eat a pellet and he spit it up 5 times, then finally ate it, after staring at it for several minutes.

I left the room for a second and came back, and he was already up at the feeding spot begging for more so I dropped him in another which he didn't hesitate to garble down this one.. I went out for a bit and came back, and I could not believe my eyes. My new betta was transformed. His blue was much more intense and his face had gone from that sickly palish brown, into a deep rich black! He was zooming all over his bowl happily, and that night he was already blowing bubbles all over the surface!! I had to ask my girlfriend to verify that he had changed so dramatically so quickly, I thought I just remembered wrong or it was lighting, but she saw the difference too. I did not know Bettas could gain color so quickly based on their mood and/or health. His fins are still crumpled up at the tips from the petco cup of torture, but with how healthy he has been acting for the last several days I have a feeling he will be flaring big pretty fins in no time.

Anyways, he is my second Betta, my first is a very beautiful red male called Hades, who is currently in a 2 gal tank. I'm considering naming the blue one either Triton or Leviathan, so Hades will have a counterpart in greek mythology. Which do you all vote on?

I do need a bit of help, though. I've read probably every webpage on the internet about Bettas, and I've gotten some contradicting information. I looked on this forum for my answers but couldn't find anyone who asked these specifically. Also, even the food products I bought contradict eachother, and they contradict the Betta care slip that came with Hades my first Betta! :/

My first question is about feeding. I've heard 2-3 times a week, I've heard 6 days a week, 7 days a week, twice a day!!! I have no idea!! I'm using mostly Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. It seems to be the most preferred by experienced betta owners. I've been feeding Hades 2 pellets, 3 times a day, for a total of 6 pellets a day. His stomache appears to be the proper shape. Am I feeding too much? Too little? Everytime he sees me grab his food he begs at his feeding spot and gobbles up anything I drop in instantly, so I know he is hungry, he is not wasting food. But I also hear Bettas are like little piggies with fins, and will eat eat eat... So if anyone could tell me a specific number of pellets to feed per day, and how many times a day would be best, I would appreciate it so much.

My next question is setup. What I want to do is get a 5.5 gallon tank, put in a divider, and give each betta 2.75 gallons of the tank. Then use a filter and light, etc.. Right now neither have a light, or a filter, so I am doing water changes often, which I think stresses out the fish. I'm not sure. But does this setup sound practical? I have heard Bettas like to flare at eachother and it makes them livelier and healthier. I thought maybe being next to a "threatening" fish all day might add stress. What is the expert opinion? :)

Hi :D Welcome to the forum :D

You'll have to post pics of your bettas :hyper: there are tons of betta lovers around here just dying to drool all over your guys :wub: And yes....the cups are horrid, I've rescued quite a few from cups too :whistle:

As for feeding, I feed everyday, pellets in the morning (about 10-12 baby bite Hikari bio-gold)
once or twice a week they get frozen food in the evening as well
one night a week they get only frozen or fresh

Some people feed every other day, some skip one day a week. It just depends on your preferance really. I don't think it's unhealthy for them to eat daily.

The essential is diet. Try to offer a wide variety, mine eat frozen brine,bloodworms,krill,spinach garlic mix,fish,squid,blanched zucchini etc..

A split tank should be fine, they are much more active when within eyeshot of each other. Just make sure they have plants to hide in just in case they need some alone time.

Now you have asked a question I was wondering about too. The split tank one. I just brought home a 2.5 gal, and was severly tempted to buy the 5 with intent to split it at some point, but the salesperson said that having the two side by side they would be flaring too much and it would stress them.
So which is it? If I can split the tank then I am going to return this 2.5 right away and get a bigger one.
This means one fish ends up with the heater and filter on their side, so has a little less space. That would be ok?

staredecisis said:
My first question is about feeding. I've heard 2-3 times a week, I've heard 6 days a week, 7 days a week, twice a day!!! I have no idea!! I'm using mostly Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. It seems to be the most preferred by experienced betta owners. I've been feeding Hades 2 pellets, 3 times a day, for a total of 6 pellets a day. His stomache appears to be the proper shape. Am I feeding too much? Too little? Everytime he sees me grab his food he begs at his feeding spot and gobbles up anything I drop in instantly, so I know he is hungry, he is not wasting food. But I also hear Bettas are like little piggies with fins, and will eat eat eat... So if anyone could tell me a specific number of pellets to feed per day, and how many times a day would be best, I would appreciate it so much.

My next question is setup. What I want to do is get a 5.5 gallon tank, put in a divider, and give each betta 2.75 gallons of the tank. Then use a filter and light, etc.. Right now neither have a light, or a filter, so I am doing water changes often, which I think stresses out the fish. I'm not sure. But does this setup sound practical? I have heard Bettas like to flare at eachother and it makes them livelier and healthier. I thought maybe being next to a "threatening" fish all day might add stress. What is the expert opinion? :)
As Wuv said, it's a matter of personal preference as long as they are fed. I feed mine every other day to keep the bowls/tanks cleaner. I mostly feed them Hikari Bio-Gold pellets (4-6 each feeding depending on their size), with red grubs thrown in once a week at random, and Saturdays are brine shrimp days. You have to control the amount they will eat because they are like dogs - eat everything in its dish whether full or not.

Flaring really doesn't stress them out. The problem is when they get used to each other they will stop flaring. And that would suck if they stopped flaring because that is their main beauty. I like to keep them isolated since they (the males) are solitary creatures. All is right with the world when there is food and no competition. But, I let them flare at each other everyday for about 1 minute.

Ok...first off, welcome to the wonderful world of betta's!

For food, a varied diet is best just like Wuv said.

As for splitting the tank: (A more cost effective way)
Instead of buying the expensive dividers at your lfs, go to wally world (or something like it) in their craft section and look for something called Craft Canvas. Then go to the pet section and get some aquarium sealant. Then to the office supply section and get the old school report binders that have the plastic thing that slides on.

Now take the 2.5 gal back and get a 10 gal tank...cut 4 pieces of the report binder to make a bracket and seal them into the tank. First measure 3 equal sections, then put the binder bracket into place. Use the side of the tank to measure how to cut the craft canvas, make sure you use the inside dimensions. Let it sit for 24 hours so that the sealant has a chance to set, then put the dividers in. Make sure that it is a snug fit on the sides, or else they betta's will be able to slip through the sides and go pick a fight. Now fill each section with gravel of your choice, decorations and water. Add Betta's once water temp is comparable to their current water temp.

Now you can have 3 betta's...so you can go back to petco and rescue one more.

*You don't have to do it this way if you only want a 5 gal tank. Im just being silly. But that is how I made my 6 10 gal betta tanks. They work wonderfully and give the boys plenty of room to swim. You can of course still divide your 5 gal the way I did my 10 gal. Anyway...sorry about the length of this, and let us know if you have any other questions.

Tiff

Itty can you take a pic of these dividers you have made? They sound really nice and I think I might transform an extra ten gallon I have. :D

Thanks so much for the responses! Very informative. I do wish I had room for another larger tank in my room, but unfortunately I'll have to stick to the 5 gal with 2 bettas until later on, freshwatergal :lol: But someday I'm sure when I have more room, I'll be swimming in fish :fish: :wub: :fish:

The divider idea sounds very nice and cost effective, I'm gonna go check out my lcs (local craft shop!) and see what I can muster.

Update on the Betta from the 1 inch tall cup of torture, his curled up fins are almost completely extended and he's looking more lively everyday. He sure does zoom all over that little 1 gal bowl, can't wait to see how he likes the bigger tank!

PS: I'll be posting pics of Hades and Triton very soon, wuvmybetta :snap:

I hate Petco.

I was in one once...

Man, I thought I was going to blow my top when I saw how they treated their Bettas.

The clerk tried the same thing, but I was able to track down the breeder/shipper and he said he never shipped them like that.

Bunch of jackels...

They wanted to use the smallest cups cause they were cheap.

HeatherSweetness said:
Itty can you take a pic of these dividers you have made? They sound really nice and I think I might transform an extra ten gallon I have. :D
What? I only have a divided 2.5 gallon and it came with glass dividers ready to be used.

They do sell dividers for 5/10/20L/33L tanks at the LFS.

They do sell dividers for 5/10/20L/33L tanks at the LFS.

Yeah, tonight I picked up a divider to divide my 5 gallon for $6.99 at PetSmart, who, by the way, have updated their Betta cup sizes to the double size, like Wal-Mart! Anyone have any idea why the Bettas are in blue water? I assume it's good for them, but it sure does make them hard to admire... :dunno:

The blue water makes it impossible to tell what color they are, doesn't it?! I feel guilty picking them up and holding them to the light to see,while the poor little betta is getting his hopes up in the meantime.

It's actually methylene blue or Bettamax (same thing,almost), it's used to prevent disease,infection & fungus.

Most reactions

Back