Angels

mr130gallon

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 28, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
1
Points
18
Location
Winnipeg
i would like to put angels in my 130 gallon, and ive been told that neons are not a good companion. someone said i could use black neons, which grow 2 inches, then would cardinal tetras be ok as well?
 
I used to keep my angels with cardinals and neons, both. The tetras were of both species were old and large (2 inch region), so the angels did not bother them.
 
would you suggest i get the tetras before the angels then, so they could outgrow the angels, or if i got really small angels and neons at the same time would they still be ok. another question, my ph is at 7.6, i plan on using peat, would lowering the ph to 6.8 be good enough?
 
This always seems to work better, although is in no way a guarantee that the angels won't eat the tetras. My tank was also heavily planted so that probably helped the tetras if the angels ever did give chase to them (not that anyone ever observed this in my tank).

My tap water at the time came out at about 7.8-8.0 and the tank was at 6.5 on its own because of the bogwood and plants.. if you can get it down to 6.8, that would already be a great improvement on what many people keep them at.
 
ok, i have a bunch of plants as well, but they arent lowering the ph, and my bogwood hasnt done anything either, ill just try peat.
 
Well, when I say bogwood, what I mean is that I had the best part of the back of the tank lined with Java moss covered oak.. and when I say planted, I mean that one could not see the back of the tank when looking from the front (which is about 18 inches deep) :rolleyes:

Best of luck :)
 
wow, thats insanely planted

my plants are still immature though, when theyre doing better i think it might be a bit better.
 
Get the Angels small and it should be fine. I kept mine with Rasboras. No guarantee.....but a better chance if they grow together.
 
ok ill try that, i really want cardinals/neons and angels so...

then would neons work if i got the angels really small, because the cardinals are barely bigger so if one will get eaten the other will too wont it?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top