Angels Or Discus

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

paulbr1

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have probably three weeks before fish day and am trying to decide on tank mates.

I like angels and have had them previously but am concerned about their reputation, I didn't seem to have problems before.

I also like but have not had Discus before, I want to use either Angels or Discus as centre piece, can anybody give me an idea of which is more placid with others and which.

The only fish joining them will be 4-5 plecs (mum, dad & fry).

Cheers,

Paul.

well from what i know, angels can be a bit nippy but if they arn't in there with anything but plecs it should be ok, discuss need more work, with very regular water changes, they like very good water peramiters and don't thrive without it, also they like the temp hotter at about 30degrees. they should also be kept in schools of at least 5 i think it is ( not 100 percent sure on that, but i think i read that on here) discuss also don't have the best immune system, and if you should get them be aware they are prone to hole in the head.

Why not take a look at gold severum, or green severum, they are similar to discuss but easyer to keep in my opinion.

Hope this helps

hi,ive never kept angels so i cant help you with that one but discus i can.discus do like to be in schools of about 5 there water do have to be change regular,it order pends where you go for discus if you decide to get them in a petshop then just sit and watch carefully to see if they have any wounds or behaving strangley,because your tank hasnt been set up and running for long i woulded advice to get them as they do like a mature tank how big is the this tank?as the minimun tank size they recommend is a 55 gallon so it order pends how big your tank is.

Angels in my experience are more placid. You buy them in as a group of six, and usually they pair off, so you can keep a pair.

Many people keep both Angels and Discus.

If you get Angels when they are small they generally will not cause any problems for the rest of the tank, as they get used to other smaller fish. The Angels in my tank are the most peaceful fish in there.

Discus are generally quite peaceful as well though they can get a bit aggressive with each other. Depends how many you want to keep.

Both Discus and Angels are ok to keep as single fish. They are usually ok to add in pairs too. If you buy a single angel or discus though then you may have problems if you add another one at a later date.

For the most part discus and angels get on well with each other.

To be perfectly frank - all the reports of Angels having a 'bad rep' and Discus being 'hard to keep' are greatly over exaggerated...and often come from people with no personal experience. As you said, you have kept Angels before without any trouble. So go by your own experience...it's infinitely more valuable than the often 'uninformed' opinions you will find out there in Internet-Land.

Good information is hard to come by, so if you are going to listen to other people - just make sure they are talking from experience as opposed to telling you what they read in a book - or heard third hand...

I have never kept discus, but i've kept a number of angels in my time, and they're one of my favourite fish. If you have space for discus, you have space for some pretty large angels, and that can look really spectacular. They're reasonably hardy, and not fussy about diet, temperature or hardness in my experience.

Plus, discus are a bit gaudy

I wouldn't keep Discus until the tank has cycled AND matured. Filtration has to be top-notch, too. Good quality Discus can be a bit of a search but, as Angels are Cichlids too, if either of them spawn, things could get a bit nasty. I wouldn't go for Discus until you've done LOTS of research and then decided they're worth the time and effort. I'd certainly never keep a single one.

My pair of Angelfish now breed. What happens is they lay eggs and the mother guards the eggs from every other fish, other than the other angelfish. All the fish stay away, except the other angelfish, who get battered.

Basically when my Angelfishes breed, they don't hurt any other fish, but they both have really torn fins because of fighting with each other.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back