angelfish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

SneakBetta

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Would I be able to keep an angelfish (maybe 2) in a 6-gallon with no other fish. At Petland (a petstore nearby), they have like 10 in a 2 gallon. I know that's only a temperary home but I still think 2 angelfish wouldn't be crowded in a 6-gallon.

No, a 6 gal. is way too small for an angelfish, I wouldnt put one in anything less than a 25 gal.

I totally agree definatly way too small,my angel fish outgrew my 20 as well and i ended up getting them a 55 gallon :eek: i would defintally get at least a 25 if not bigger :thumbs:

WOAH! At petland they have angels in 2 gallon tanks?!?! I go to petland discounts for all of my fish needs and they keep their angels (Usually 7 or 8 depending on the size of the fish) in a 60 gallon tank.

6 gallons for one angel fish really isn't enough. Angels are big pigs, so they grow really quick. If you upgrade to ten gallon you can probably keep one angel (Alot people say not to, but my angel is an adult and he eats like a pig, swims all over the tank nibbling on the plants, is contstantly trying to get my attention and seems really happy.)

Ken_g_w said:
I would boycott that store!
I believe Petland discounts is a franchise so different people buy the stores from them. The people who own the petland I go to, know EVERYTHING there is to know about fish :D

As I've mentioned before in some post, I have 2 angels in a 32g and if I get a chance to get them something bigger, I will. I've had them for 6 years and the largest is a bit over 5", the other maybe 4.5". When I came here it was the first time I read about stumped growth and what that'll do to the fish and I feel really bad about getting them for a tank that's obviously too small for them. I don't know if moving them into a bigger tank now would let them grow to full size, does anyone know? If I ever get angels again, I won't put them in anything smaller than 55g. JMO.

I think two angels in a 32 gal. is OK. I have kept mine in a 30 gal. for a year, and he still continues to grow :)

Anything less then a 20g is just plain cruel in my opinion. These are large fish that need space. Ive read that some people keep them in 10g and they look happy. Well if youve never kept one in anything bigger what is there to compare the happyness to? Think hes happy now? Put him in something larger and youll see a true angel in all its glory.

KnuckleHead said:
Anything less then a 20g is just plain cruel in my opinion. These are large fish that need space. Ive read that some people keep them in 10g and they look happy. Well if youve never kept one in anything bigger what is there to compare the happyness to? Think hes happy now? Put him in something larger and youll see a true angel in all its glory.
Look mabye you can go out and buy six 30 gallon tanks, but I cant! I don't have access to a bigger tank! Its not like he is in a glass, or a pitcher! He has ten gallons, lots of plants, good food, hiding places, I do water changes once or twice a week, nice high temp and everything else I can possible offer him. I am at the fish store atleast twice a week, trying to improve whatever conditions I can. I look up all kinds of sources on keeping angel fish, what kind of light they like, temperatures, their favorite kind of food. I have put so much time into the tank, especially for that angel because he is my best pal. I have dropped nearly all my money for my tank, and put in so much of my time to give my fish the best god damn home I can offer! And I don't mind the work! What I do mind, is people who haven't seen my angel, are telling me he MUST be miserable and I MUST be cruel because a fish who is 3 inches has ten gallons of water (And IF we are going by the same 1 gallon per inch of fish, thats about 3 gallons of water.). Gold fish are kept in ten gallon tanks. But they have the potential to grow extremely large. Platys have the potential to become extremely large. But people keep platys in ten gallon tanks (Today at my lfs they had four 5-6 inch platys) but people aren't called cruel for keeping "stunted" platies and goldfish in their tank.

And by the way, not only have I gotten advice from my lfs, I have gotten advice from my uncle who had kept fish for 30 years (Community freshwater, cichlids and salterwater.) My uncle (Who has actually seen my angel) has said Little Angel looks very content and healthy and that he should do fine in my tank.

I am getting a 20 gallon for christmas, so if he can bare the HORRIBLE and CRUEL conditions for two more months he will have the room he needs.

Whoa lets not get nasty here. Im sure you love your fish just as much as everybody else. Its obvious I offended you and for that Im deeply sorry. Of course at his current size he can wait that long. I guess I should have stated that my previous post was just my opinion. Again Im sorry for upseting you.

whoa :eek:......anyway Morrgan youve had your angels for 6 years??? :) wow thats awesome i hope mine live that long but im only up to 8 months,ive heard of angels living up to 10 years :fish: :fish: :fish:

Holy harsh repsonse KimmyFish. At the very least, please try to refrain from swearing; there are many young people who are members of this board, and many older members who would find your choice of words offensive.

A very young angel would be alright in a ten gallon tank for a very short time. However, I suspect the confusion arose from the fact that you said you had an adult angel in a ten gallon tank. If your angel is an adult and only three inches, he did not grow to his full size.

Anyway, I also think six years is great. My oldest boy is about four and a half, but he's starting to show his age. He has a bumpy face now, and man alive, is he ever a grump. lol

The lady at my LFS said that you really have to be careful with the ph for Angelfish. Is this true. I'm hoping to add 2 to my community tank.

Most reactions

Back