angelfish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

If the angels are tank bred, which most are these days, then they will be used to living in tapwater and will not be as fussy about water conditions, i have had a pair spawn in water with a pH of 8.5! If they are wild caught they will need a pH of around 6.5 but since wild caught angels are rare and would cost a fortune i dont think you need to worry about it.

Angelfish should grow to between 8 and 12 inches from fin tip to fin tip and fully grown fish that have not been stunted will need a tank with a minimum 36" length and 18" height with a 20" height being prefferable.
A 10g tank is not big enough to house angelfish as a properly grown adults dorsal fin will be as high as the water level. As for saying a fish is happy think of it this way, you can keep a dog in 6ft by 6ft shed for the whole of its life and it will still wag its tail and be excited to see you when you come to feed it and clean the shed out, but it is not right and the dog would be taken away from you if the authorities found out, fish deserve to be treated with kindness and respect too.
And for the record platys do not grow to 6", the fish you saw were probably mollies as platys rarely exceed 3".

CFC said:
Angelfish should grow to between 8 and 12 inches from fin tip to fin tip...
You mean their height, right? Mine are about 8 inches tall, so in that case it's a relief to hear they're at least that close to full size. For the record, I agree with what you've said about the minimum tank sizes though, CFC.

Yea, they've been with me for a little over six years. :) I got them when they were only 2 inches long, they were so cute! Nowadays they're definitely the rulers of the tank, even though they don't bother anyone else. ;)

BTW, the so called 6" platies could also have been swordtail females.

can you add angels to a community tank with tetras, rainbows, gouramies and harliquins. it's a 110g tank, will they get along, or should i wait and let them have their own tank.

They will get along with most fish as long as there is enough room for them to claim a territory if/when they decide to breed, if not things can get nasty. They may view small tetras like neons and glowlights as food, larger tetras like cardinals or rummynoses will be ok.

KnuckleHead said:
Whoa lets not get nasty here. Im sure you love your fish just as much as everybody else. Its obvious I offended you and for that Im deeply sorry. Of course at his current size he can wait that long. I guess I should have stated that my previous post was just my opinion. Again Im sorry for upseting you.
ts alright, it just gets a little tiring hearing all the "Move your angelfish" stuff. When I get and cycle the 20 gallon he will be moved. Sorry if I got snippy, no hard feelings :D

KimmyFishy89 said:
Look mabye you can go out and buy six 30 gallon tanks, but I cant! I don't have access to a bigger tank! Its not like he is in a glass, or a pitcher! He has ten gallons, lots of plants, good food, hiding places, I do water changes once or twice a week.

I dont really want to start another argument BUT:
Being able to afford a bigger tank isnt really the issue, the needs of the fish is.
I dont keep African Elephants because my back yard is 20ftx40ft.
The size of your tank determines what species you should consider keeping. Its not good enough that the fish 'fits' or that you cant aford a bigger tank, angelfish need space to grow and swim and hunt for food. If you cant provide that then they are 'out of reach' for the moment.

I hope this doesnt come across as too harsh I am sure you do care a lot for the well being of your fish and I was in the same boat but had to come to face the reality that I cant keep a fully grown Goldy plec, I just dont have the facilities they need.

Ken

Just another point:
The rule of inches of fish per gallon is extremely misguided. the amount of fish you can keep is governed by the surface area of the tank.
A 50g tube might only hold one goldfish if its too narrow.

Ken

Ken_g_w said:
KimmyFishy89 said:
Look mabye you can go out and buy six 30 gallon tanks, but I cant! I don't have access to a bigger tank! Its not like he is in a glass, or a pitcher! He has ten gallons, lots of plants, good food, hiding places, I do water changes once or twice a week.

I dont really want to start another argument BUT:
Being able to afford a bigger tank isnt really the issue, the needs of the fish is.
I dont keep African Elephants because my back yard is 20ftx40ft.
The size of your tank determines what species you should consider keeping. Its not good enough that the fish 'fits' or that you cant aford a bigger tank, angelfish need space to grow and swim and hunt for food. If you cant provide that then they are 'out of reach' for the moment.

I hope this doesnt come across as too harsh I am sure you do care a lot for the well being of your fish and I was in the same boat but had to come to face the reality that I cant keep a fully grown Goldy plec, I just dont have the facilities they need.

Ken
At the time he was on the smaller size, the person at the fish store said he would only grow to the size of the tank as do most fish. So I figured he wouldn't out grow the tank and I would do the best I can. Its not like he is 10 inches at the moment. I doubt he will sprout 6 inches in the next two months.

And it isn't like he barely fits. He, at the moment, has lots of space to swim. IF he does get so big he can't swim in the next two months than I will find any possible way to move him.

Again, until you see the fish you can't quiet pass judgement yet. I understand you have the best intentions, and Little Angel (and I) are greatful that you are thinking of him. But he seems content, and I thing he can wait.

Hey Aquanut!! :) 41/2 years for one of yours??Thats so awesome!!! :thumbs: These fish really do live long.I'm so attached now i wonder what will happen in years from now :lol:

At the time he was on the smaller size, the person at the fish store said he would only grow to the size of the tank as do most fish.

That's actually a total myth and one I'm personally fed up of hearing. It causes so much grief!

So I figured he wouldn't out grow the tank and I would do the best I can. Its not like he is 10 inches at the moment. I doubt he will sprout 6 inches in the next two months.

Fish can grow surprisingly rapidly, especially with good food and water.

And it isn't like he barely fits. He, at the moment, has lots of space to swim. IF he does get so big he can't swim in the next two months than I will find any possible way to move him.

If you cannot afford a large, deep tank perhaps you should be looking to find him a new home now?

Again, until you see the fish you can't quiet pass judgement yet. I understand you have the best intentions, and Little Angel (and I) are greatful that you are thinking of him. But he seems content, and I thing he can wait.

You are rather in the same situation as my friend who bought a labrador cross puppy, only to discover it was in fact a great dane and totally unsuitable for her one bedroom appartment with a shared garden. She had the choice of re-homing the dog or moving house. She chose to move house.

When you get a pet you have a responsibility to that pet. If you've been mislead by someone about the nature of that pet you have to do what you can to fix the mistake and make sure the animal doesn't suffer.

There are various things you can do for your angelfish that might get you out of your current bind (re-home it, build a ply-wood tank, get a second-hand tank on Ebay etc.) and I'm sure people would be more than pleased to help you build or find a suitable new tank (we all know what its like to be mislead and have a major headache about what to do) but if you deny there's even a problem, we can't help!

TURNS OUT HE IS GETTING A NEW HOME!!!! Today or tomarow I am getting a 30 gallon tank!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D And when I told him (Yes, I talk to him) Little Angel started swimming really fast up against the tank all excited like. So he will have his new home ready to swim in 14 days (Doing fishless cycling). *Does a jig*

I am so excited! When you people told me he was too big I started getting upset. I was kind in denial because he is my best little buddy. So I begged my parents, and I told them it would look really nice and that all of us (Me and my three younger sisters) would share it. AND THEY SAID YES!!! :D :D :D :D

My dads wants to get a wide one. But I said to get the deeper one. Its a rectangle squarish, tall but with lots and lots of surface area :D Little Angel will be SO happy now!!

Thats great to hear KimmyFishy!
A bigger tank is much easier to look after too. Just one thing, are you keeping the smaller tank too? Looks like the curse of the tank fairy strikes again!

Ken

Yea, my tank is going to have platies, mollies, swordtails. The bigger tank is gonna have larger tetras, an angel and danios :D

I'm relieved to hear about your new tank - it'll be so much easier than the 10 gallon and much more appropriate for your angelfish. Angels can get pretty massive with good food and water so he'll be a spectacular centrepiece fish for your new tank.

Well done on twisting your parents arm. Just one thing to learn from this experience - do check suitability of new fish before you buy them and bond with them, won't you? ;)

Alien Anna said:
Well done on twisting your parents arm. Just one thing to learn from this experience - do check suitability of new fish before you buy them and bond with them, won't you? ;)
Will do :D

Most reactions

Back