Angelfish Fighting

jr1104

New Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I currently have 2 Koi Angelfish in my tank, and have had them in there for about 9 months now. They have never been a problem, and have even laid eggs, although the eggs got eaten. But just recently they have been fighting sometimes. They will be swimming together fine, and then suddenly one will start chasing the other. It is always the same one being chased, and there are signs of fin nipping on the one being chased. I have also noticed that it has started chasing my Black Widows around the tank :/ Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it something to do with them breeding or laying eggs, or is it something else?
Thanks
 
Angels will attack fish with flowing fins like the black widow tetra's, how many gallons or litres is the tank.
 
It's 15 gallons, but it hasn't been a problem up until very recently.
 
The tanks not big enough that why, even the black widow tetras need over 20gal, plus angels usually 30gal, if the tank isn't big enough for them fish become aggressive due to no room.
 
It hasn't been a problem up until very recently though, so I don't know why it has just started. I am thinking of doing a bit of a change in my tank anyway, as I am taking out one of my gouramis, since it is also being bullied. I would like to keep both my angelfish though, so would taking out the Black Widows be O.K. for them.
 
That tank is on the small side for angels, though some breeders do keep pairs in 15's, by themselves. I keep standards in a 20 high, veil pairs get a 29. You do need something in the 29 gallon range for a pair with other fish.

Some pairs get along well, some get along on & off. Some will be totally combative with each other except when spawning. A larger tank, with plenty of tall tanks for the battered fish to hide in might work. Angels are cichlids, and can be unpredictable at times. Get a divider for now, it will give time for the torn fins to heal, anyone dealing with new world cichlids should have one handy.
 
After watching them for the past 15 mins, it seems more like they are in a breeding mood. They are hanging around the leaf they normally breed on, and now they are chasing away all fish that come near, but they are not chasing each other. I will see how they go tonight, and it has been a while since they last laid eggs, so maybe they are preparing for that. They have been cleaning the leaf today.
 
OK, they haven't layed any eggs overnight, but the Black Widow Tetra with lots of fins is showing signs of lots of fin nipping, so I am going to take it out. The angelfish being bullied is just hiding behind a bit of slate, and it didn't come out to eat when I put food in. I will take out one of my gouramis and the bullied Black Widow today, and see if it gets any better.

edit: OK those 2 fish are out now, and the Angelfish being bullied has come out from behind the slate. I will let you know what happens.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top