Angelfish Aggression

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ras0787

Reaction score
I have a fully grown angelfish who is approximately 5 inches long and 5 inches tall. She is the lone resident of a 20 gallon fully established tank. The water readings are all normal. There are 3 live plants and a couple fake ones. There is also a wooded decoration in the middle, which is not tall - short and long.

The angelfish seems to be fairly aggressive towards anyone who gets anywhere near the tank. She comes right up to the front of the tank and repeatedly runs into the glass (at least that's what it looks like she's doing.) And if you were to move to the sides of the tank she will closely follow with the same behavior. At first I thought she was just not getting enough food, but when she is being fed she sometimes won't even eat unless I walk away from the tank and give her space.

I thought she was just being territorial because, she has laid eggs on more than one occasion. Her behavior, however, is similar no matter if there are eggs in the tank or not. I understand she would be territorial with eggs in the tank, but I figured she should calm down if there were none. When I stick my arm in the tank, either to clean, or to do some other kind of maintenance she will run and hide which is expected behavior. I never put my arm in the tank when her eggs are there so as to be careful not to disturb them.

So I'm wondering why she behaves like this. Is she simply being territorial of the area where she lays eggs? Is she stressed? Is she lonely? Is this her natural behavior? Should I be concerned?

Any advice would be much appreciated

More than likely stressed, Since taking the 20 gallon in terms of size. Thats like a baby living in a box for it's entire life. Upgrade tank and you'll see a improvement in health more than likely. Recommended tank sizes for angels are around 50 gallon, Taking in a good 18 inch depth for them.

I agree. All my angels outgrew 5 inches in notime in my 55 gal

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back