winner.gif
drinks.gif
drunk.gif
yahoo.gif
band.gif
59.gif

Hooray :D

I would like to proudly announce that I have 32 (ish!) baby Koi Angels :D :D :D

I have kept angels for years and never ever managed to get beyond day 1 wrigglers due to angels not fertilising eggs, one pair turning out to actually be two females both laying together, eating eggs repeatedly and the pair that finally got wrigglers panicked when they started moving and promptly ate them and in other tanks, all the other fish kept eating them!

Typically now that I no longer have angels or fish at all atm..... I have been seperating out nice looking pairs from a big batch of koi angels at work to sell in sexed pairs. One lot laid eggs after two weeks and ate them after 2 days.

This pair have been together 3 weeks before they laid eggs and I have never seen such attentive parenting from angels!! Aggressively so!

Still..... in a 40L systemised tank, I didnt expect anything at all!! But about 120 eggs laid and 74 hatched into wrigglers on Saturday or Sunday. I had monday and tuesday off work so assumed they would all be gone by wednesday! But wednesday they were still there! :)

I was trying to decide what to do, work arent interested in raising babies andi was going to bu a small tank and sponge filter but to cycle it in time... there was no way... so decided to do something on thursday (today).

Unfortunately, the angels having laid eggs on the weir plate... couldnt stop the babies getting sucked through the weir when they let go of the wall. So by morning I only had about 32 or so...

I have since siphoned them all out the tank and put them in their own little cube tank with much lower flow and a net over the strainer and by the end of today, all 32 or so were racing round the tank like a bunch of loonatics! I cant believe they are even capable of swimming so powerfully at such a small size! Let alone why they would want to? They are seriously winding up the tiger barbs in the tank next to them LOL. Tomorrow im going to stop them from seeing each other.

Ok, now for the question, I will work it out either way but what will they want to eat? I don't have the option for Nauplii or whatever its called... baby brineshrimp as i wont be able to set it all up at work...

I can get packs of live phyto and zoo plankton which is marines... dont know if it would be any good?

Can use Liquify? Makes a godawful mess though....

Or ground up flakes? (can use powdered baby fish food by Hikari)...

Today was their first day having used up their eggsac though their belly was slightly orange coloured so might be tomorrow they start needing food. I offered them ground Tetra Pro Colour today and i *think* a few had a nibble but so hard to tell!

Eeeeeee!!! I am just so excited!!
yahoo.gif

Congrats!!!
yay.gif

Get ready....now that they have started they won't stop!!! Tomorrow my first batch will be exactly two months old and my sixth batch will be exactly one week old!
biggrin.png

I have cyclops :) yay. Wasnt sure if frozen foods were any good for them so young.

They will b getting a mix of frozn cyclops and as i discovered this morning, they enjoy liquifry that has been stirred into the water :)

They all have cute little bellies and if i look at them a little bit cross eyed, i could almost see their mouths.

Cant get over how long and narrow they are as babies compaired to how big and tall they will grow to be!

Wow... bit forward arent you?! :p LOL

I have had luck with Hikari first bites for mine. They are so cute when they start growing their fins! Something for you to look forward to in a couple weeks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back