Anacharis

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

HippoHen

Reaction score
Hey there everyone! I have a bit of experince with basic plants such as amazon swords etc in my 3 litre tropical tank but im a complete novice to plants suited for cooler tanks. Basically i have just acquired a bunch of Anacharis from my local fish shop. My aim is to put it in my 30 litre Biorb Which at the mo houses 2 baby fantail goldfish (don't worry they are being moved to a larger tank that I have in just over a month). Anyway my main questions are:
Shoudl I unbunch them and remove the sponge and metal (lead?) that is currently weighing the bunch down? I'm guessing I should.
Do I let the stems float?
Is this plant suited to a Biorb?

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

It's an old name for elodea. Easy enough to keep, unwrap it and plant it in the substrate. If you can, try to hold it steady with some rocks or similar. Goldfish tend to make a mess of plants, so don't be surprised if they keep tearing it up.

Cheers for the info there! Have unwrapped it and lodged the bottom of the stems under a rock. Ah not to worry about the fish eating it, it's hardly the most expensive plant.

The stuff grows like weeds too. I have a small tank that I started out two separated bunches in. They quickly grew and I pinched the strands in half and re-planted them. Again and again. Pretty soon the Neons were getting stuck in the thick plants all through the tank. I gave a mess of it away, but still had way too much. I put most of it in a bucket outside. Left one bunch in my tank, which, after two weeks, is already two bunches. The only problem I have with it is that as the old leaves decay and fall off, they tend to clog up my filter.

Most reactions

Back