Anacharis keeps dying. Are there other fast growing plants that fill that niche?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I suspect as what Seangee mentioned, the warm temperature killed the Anacharis that were farmed in cold temperature.

I remember in the past, I put them outside my house where the temperature could be easily 86F/30C in the afternoon and all the Anacharis died.

Recently, I bought some Anacharis and all of them died within a few days.
The Hornworts(after 2 weeks) and Cabomba are still alive.
My room temperature is between 83F to 86F.

If you read the internets, the Anacharis requires 72-78F temperature and it can survive even at 60F.

What fish? :eek:

My anacharis was surviving on 32° C constantly and it never melted :/

Huh, are you sure your temperature is at 32C (89.6F) ?
32C is too high for any kind of fish.
What fish are you keeping?
Even for my Discus and Blue Ram, I only have up to 30C (maximum).
26-27C is usually is the best temperature for most fish except for Discus and Blue Ram.

Anyway, it's a surprise that the Anacharis can survive such a high temperature.
Most forums commented that it cannot withstand high temperature.

Based on information from the internets, fish like Goldfish, some African Cichlid, Silver Dollars, Clown Loach and some other fish may eat the Cabomba.

Huh, are you sure your temperature is at 32C (89.6F) ?
32C is too high for any kind of fish.
What fish are you keeping?
Even for my Discus and Blue Ram, I only have up to 30C (maximum).
26-27C is usually is the best temperature for most fish except for Discus and Blue Ram.

Anyway, it's a surprise that the Anacharis can survive such a high temperature.
Most forums commented that it cannot withstand high temperature.

Based on information from the internets, fish like Goldfish, some African Cichlid, Silver Dollars, Clown Loach and some other fish may eat the Cabomba.
I have a betta in my 7 gallon tank and I have to heat it up to 32° C as his heater won't heat at any other temperature.
It is a surprise that anacharis can survive in such high temperature given that its a cold water plant.

I have a betta in my 7 gallon tank and I have to heat it up to 32° C as his heater won't heat at any other temperature.
It is a surprise that anacharis can survive in such high temperature given that its a cold water plant.

Are using a thermometer to monitor the actual temperature?
If you have, you can actually try to re-adjust the setting to be slightly lower to 27C(81F).
I think some heaters are not accurate and the actual temperature is different from the actual setting.

Are using a thermometer to monitor the actual temperature?
If you have, you can actually try to re-adjust the setting to be slightly lower to 27C(81F).
I think some heaters are not accurate and the actual temperature is different from the actual setting.

I'm pretty sure the heater is broken. I set it on 27°C and it won't heat at all. Yes, I use a thermometer. New heater (50w Eheim Jager) should arrive this week.

I suspect as what Seangee mentioned, the warm temperature killed the Anacharis that were farmed in cold temperature.
Huh? I keep my tanks at 78 degrees F.

I also have some sitting on a windowsill, were the tank water is over 86. I never have a problem with them dying in heat. They grow in the wild in heat and they grow better in my tanks in heat. (or at least that's my experience.)

The problem with Elodia (Anacharis) is when you take the plant from a coldwater pond and put it in a warm water tank. The sudden change in water temperature causes the cell walls to rupture and the plant turns brown and falls apart.

If you get the plant during summer when the pond water is warm, it usually settles in fine and will live happily ever after in a tropical tank.

In Australia, Elodia is illegal to keep so we have Hydrilla instead. It is a better plant for tropical conditions and doesn't fall apart as readily as Elodia.

The problem with Elodia (Anacharis) is when you take the plant from a coldwater pond and put it in a warm water tank. The sudden change in water temperature causes the cell walls to rupture and the plant turns brown and falls apart.

If you get the plant during summer when the pond water is warm, it usually settles in fine and will live happily ever after in a tropical tank.

In Australia, Elodia is illegal to keep so we have Hydrilla instead. It is a better plant for tropical conditions and doesn't fall apart as readily as Elodia.
Funny, here hydrilla is illegal. It tears up boat props.

Sometimes I buy it and it grows like a weed. Other times it lasts no time. Depends on type and time of year too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back