Anabantoid Aquarium

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I wouldn't put anything from Asia in my tanks. Don't know what you're gonna catch :(

I order things from Tannin Aquatics. A lot of that is from Asia. Or the origin of the plant is in Asia.

Do you get them from your yard?
I’m so OCD about keeping things from the same general area together, I only wanted leaves from Asia in here.

I have been collecting oak leaves in my yard for several autumns now, but that ended this year because I moved. But I use so few leaves these days and I have a few bags of dried leaves anyway so I'm probably set for years!

Finding leaves from Asian trees may not be easy. I understand the biotope aspect, I have had tanks like this...but after all, getting sand from the Rio Negro is next to impossible so using dark grey play sand which looks the same...why not? Same for chunks of wood. I have had what I term geographic rather than biotope tanks, with all fish and plants in the tank coming from the same geographical area. Most of the fish we maintain in our tanks never would see each other (species wise) in nature, even those from the same area. Authentic biotope is challenging.

Yeah I guess mine are more continent based.
But you can get the Indian Almond Leaves , origin SE Asia. Also on Tannin Aquatics I got Guava Leaves which are also originating in Asia. :)

The wood though, I totally don't have that all being Asian, and I accidentally put in some botanicals that were Brazilian in origin. I will be removing those. Don't get me started on sand... I left the sand in from a previous set up and it is black. I wish it was not that color! I wanted a more natural look, but am too lazy to change it. Therefore, I just want to keep the fish, plants and botanicals of Asian origin. I believe that my Spider Wood is Asian as well, though I have some wood in there that I believe is Mopani.

ETA: I think I may actually just leave the Brazilian Botanicals. I have another tank that I can use to try and create a biotype for a giant / king betta, with Asian plants + botanicals.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back