An Idea.....

mrplaty

Fishaholic
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
457
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
rayleigh....ESSEX
Hi, i have noticed that there are a few websites now where aquatic shops are now selling fish online and posting them. Although alot of their prices are slightly cheaper than the actuall shops there isnt a great difference.

Anyway i have a small fishroom where i used to breed different species of fish but havent been using it as much recently, so Would anybody be interested in using an online shop where you could buy your fish at REALLY good prices. I could offer much better prices for the fish than the LFS, because obviously i havent got the rent and staff wages to cover. I just thought of it as an idea to help fellow hobyists out and put my fishroom to use at the same time!!!....

Graham
 
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what it is you're suggesting? If you're talking about breeding fish then selling by post - thats obviously nothing new. If you're talking about buying large amounts of fish from a wholesaler then adding your cut, selling at less than LFS thats possibly an option - but if you only have a small fishroom it won't work, because you won't be in a position to sell to order - you'll have to sell what you stock, and thats limited by the size of your fishroom.

Sorry, I forgot to add - the exception to the above is if you specialise in something - for instance tangiyikan cichlids. In which case that could work, buying a few in then breeding them to increase your stocks - that might be an option. Though business will obviously be slower because its a specialism.
 
i will mainly buy them in and sell them etc. Although my fishroom is small compared to an LFS i still have quite a few tanks. I was thinking od specialising with cichlids but also would stock a small range of other,more common fish in order to appeal to a wider market.

Graham
 
There are quite a few people in our area who may be able to supply you, I hope to breed endlers and "StatMan" is nearby and has fry.
 
If it were me I'd specialise full stop, because the more common fish can always be picked up cheaper than you'll be able to sell them from breeders on here.

I'll use the Tangiyikan cichlid example again:

My LFS sells 4 or 5 flavours of tang cichlid. If I travel 30 miles I can go to a very good (but expensive) place that sells around 10 species. Online I can buy individual species from breeders on here or ebay, or some of the more common flavours from places like trimar.

At no place though can I get all of the various flavours of tang cichlid in one place. If I knew the place, I would use them again and again.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top