An Experimental Cichlid Tank - Your Thoughts Please .

Zincubus

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 27, 2008
Messages
83
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have a little experiment going at the moment .

I have a very heavily planted tank about 20 gallons with the following ALL living happily !!

Every fish is very young and under an inch in length .

2 Apistogramma panderini (pair)
2 Apistogramma pulchra (pair)
2 Apistogramma cacatuoides (pair)
2 Borelli Cichlids (Pair)
2 Keyhole Cichlids (pair)
4 Checkerboard Cichlids (tiny)


The only two fish who had a problem with each other was the female panderini and the male pulchra but they took it in turns to "chase" each other .. ... there was no outright winner so they both get on with each other ( well tolerate each other ).

=Amazingly the only fish who has claimed a little patch of tank is one of the TINY checkerboard cichlids

I realise that this tank is only peaceful because they are ALL such yopung fish but it is fantastically intersting to watch them all going about their business.

As they grow I will simply move them to other tanks.
 
Incidently, I did a little research about these little beauties and decided to try them togther in a heavily planted tank . Bear in mind that they are ALL under an inch long - the checkerboard and pulchra's are only half an inch long.

Nothing sinister going on - I just had a feeling that they would get on as they are so young -and thankfully for the last month or so - they have.


I have 3 other mature tanks ready and waiting if any problems develope.
 
Incidently, I did a little research about these little beauties and decided to try them togther in a heavily planted tank . Bear in mind that they are ALL under an inch long - the checkerboard and pulchra's are only half an inch long.

Nothing sinister going on - I just had a feeling that they would get on as they are so young -and thankfully for the last month or so - they have.


I have 3 other mature tanks ready and waiting if any problems develope.


do weekly water changes and you wont have a problem with your tank! :good:
 
weekly water changes of how much ??

10% or 25 % ??



Update

I decided to remove the pair of Apistogramma panderini and the pair of Borelli Cichlids as I wanted to add a small pair of Laetacara curviceps to my show tank .
 
What are the dimensions of the tank? Personally I don't think it will work out in the long run.
 
whilst it works now, as you say, every fish is young and under an inch. Perhaps once all are mature and fully grown, then problems may arise
If not, kudos to you for pulling it off
JC :good:
 
Dimensions 30 x15x 15

Heavily planted /filtered/ airated and regular water changes.

I have already rehoused a couple of pairs to make way for a young pair of Laetacara curviceps.

I will keep changing things around to keep everyone happy and healthy .

Nobody gets hurt on my shift !! :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top