Amphibian Choices?

fall-apart-dave

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 180 litre (approx) tank that is no good for fish but ideal for amphibians. Here's a pic:

8817_1.jpg

2 bodies of water with an island is what I'm thinking. But I don't know where to start with species!!! Whats available in the UK? And how difficult are the various species to keep and cater for? Also considering any invertibrates that will make use of the island. The tank is well established, and the current occupants will be moved to a larger aquarium soon.

Nice tank! ;)
I think it would be ideal for amphibians, although im not sure what species. Maybe some type of frog or newt? Also remember to provide some form of rock to get out of the water and onto the 'island' (or drift wood).

African Dwarf frogs are fairly easy going and completely aquatic. Mine have the chance to get out of the water but don't bother. They're total characters and mine cost £1.50 each from a shop in Bolton.

I have a 180 litre (approx) tank that is no good for fish but ideal for amphibians. Here's a pic:

8817_1.jpg

2 bodies of water with an island is what I'm thinking. But I don't know where to start with species!!! Whats available in the UK? And how difficult are the various species to keep and cater for? Also considering any invertibrates that will make use of the island. The tank is well established, and the current occupants will be moved to a larger aquarium soon.
most fresh water invertibrates need access to land, with the exception of shrimp and Crayfish, and thats a true bit of dry land, not something sticking out of the water. and thats ignoring the fact that many "freshwater inverts" actually need brackish. so this tank would be fine, if you fill the tank to just above the insert level, building the table higher with two inches of sand, and use brackish water. most crabs and crayfish would find the tank a wonderful enviroment

African Dwarf frogs are fairly easy going and completely aquatic. Mine have the chance to get out of the water but don't bother. They're total characters and mine cost £1.50 each from a shop in Bolton.
yep or firebelly newts, still filling the tank as i suggest above, but using freshwater. if you go for newts you will not need to heat the tank!

Well my options that I am seriously considering are:

A very small number of rainbow crabs

A pair of mud turltes (done my homework and they only grom to about 4-5" for most species)

A colony of fire bellies with a small number of minnows and maybe one or two hillstream loaches in each body of water

Tree frogs with bamboo growing out of the water, tropical plants growing on the island and maybe a small number of Neons or similar size fish in the bodies of water

And I love each of these ideas equally... So I just can't make up my mind!!!

Most reactions

Back