Ammonium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Skins

A new swimmer in the tank
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me, does ammonium become nitrite?

Skins.

No ammonium is ammonia when mixed with something else - basically if you have ammonia in your tank and you add ammo lock or similar it creates ammonium while this is a good short term solution - it will starve your filter so not a good long term solution - Ammonium does not get processed in the same way as ammonia - the bacteria need ammonia specifically to thrive and survive like we need oxygen specifically.

Interesting fact though Ammonium is actually on the list of ingredients of Penguin chocolate bars :sick:

Wills

Skins.

from the research ive done and from what other members have said here ammonium is used by the filter bacteria in the same way as ammonia.

Yeah, from what I have read and observed on my own, the bacteria use ammonium just like ammonia with the result being nitrite and eventually nitrate. Think about it though, ammonia turns to ammonium with a low pH, but many people that have low pH set ups have that same ammonium turned into nitrite and then into nitrate. This can be measured using a standard liquid reagent based test kit. If it was true that the bacteria don't use it then these people would have a high ammonia reading on their test kits (the API freshwater master test kit measures total ammonia and that includes ammonium too). This just simply isn't the case.

No ammonium is ammonia when mixed with something else - basically if you have ammonia in your tank and you add ammo lock or similar it creates ammonium while this is a good short term solution - it will starve your filter so not a good long term solution - Ammonium does not get processed in the same way as ammonia - the bacteria need ammonia specifically to thrive and survive like we need oxygen specifically.

Interesting fact though Ammonium is actually on the list of ingredients of Penguin chocolate bars :sick:

Wills
I'll take that as a no

Skins.

from the research ive done and from what other members have said here ammonium is used by the filter bacteria in the same way as ammonia.

I'll take that as yes

Yeah, from what I have read and observed on my own, the bacteria use ammonium just like ammonia with the result being nitrite and eventually nitrate. Think about it though, ammonia turns to ammonium with a low pH, but many people that have low pH set ups have that same ammonium turned into nitrite and then into nitrate. This can be measured using a standard liquid reagent based test kit. If it was true that the bacteria don't use it then these people would have a high ammonia reading on their test kits (the API freshwater master test kit measures total ammonia and that includes ammonium too). This just simply isn't the case.

I'll take that as yes

http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=3684 Post #7. You can take this as a yes from the manufacturer of a product that converts ammonia to ammonium, as well as a yes from me when using such a product fishless cycling long ago.

http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=3684 Post #7. You can take this as a yes from the manufacturer of a product that converts ammonia to ammonium, as well as a yes from me when using such a product fishless cycling long ago.
Many thanks :good:

Agree!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back