Ammonia Test Problems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Torrean

The Hairy Potter
Reaction score
I'm attempting to do a fishless cycle in order to test a filter design I came up with...I have been adding ammonia throughout the day today trying to get my ppm up to 5...I started with 20 drops and then started adding by the strawfull...well I got up to 60 drops and then 24 straw fulls (approx. 30 drops per straw)...and my ammo read 2ppm...This really started to bug me so I decided to test my ammo kit by testing a 50/50 mix of ammo and tank water...I GOT A READING OF 0 PPM... I'm thouroughly confused at this point. I mean maybe my kit is dead. It is pretty old but if that's the case why did it read anything at all in the tank?

No need to apologize...it's usually the obvious that gets us. There is no concentration information on the packaging. I thought of that. and if that's the case that's fine I don't mind putting in a cup of ammonia. But that wouldn't explain why a 50/50 blend of water and ammo would read 0ppm...

Are you using a test kit or the test strips? The teat strips are notoriously inaccurate. Take a water sample to you LFS and get them to test for you.
Cheers;

kit

There really is no longer a question in my mind on whether my kit is shot or not.

I CAN SMELL THE AMMO coming from the tank lol and my test is readin aroun 1 ppm lol.

My sis has a spare ammo test she's gonna give me tonight so it'll be allright

I'm gonna have to do a massive water change to bring my ammo back down

That is really funny. I had heard they could go bad but never "met" anyone who actually had it happen. Just out of curiosity--what brand is it and how long have you had it?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back