Ammonia Problem

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TwoTankAmin said:
Pay attention to the Safe Start directions. They do not like you to change water. But watch the fish as well. 1-2 ppm may be OK for a while, but how long depends on how the fish react. You should see a drop in ammonia soon between the plants and the bacteria. Hopefully the best benefit will be less of a nitrite spike.
Yep, I haven't done any water changes (to stop the cycle from slowing down even more) and I don't plan to unless the ammonia and nitrite gets out of control... Right now it seems to be staying at a steady level without rising. I do checks every 24 hours and I'll post on this thread if anything does change.

The fish seem to be perfectly fine; no signs of ammonia or nitrite poisoning and they haven't changed from their energetic selves, which is lovely. If they start to show signs of poor health, I'll do my best to get them out of there, no matter what.

Speaking of which, I believe I have to get rid of my Kissing Gouramis, anyway. One is becoming increasingly territorial as I fell for the hype of having two so they'd 'kiss'. Of course, I recently found out having two tends to lead to harassment of one and he's becoming very shy and nervous... I think it'd be in their best interest to take them to my LFS where they have a large stock of healthy kissers. I might keep the timid one until he grows too big, though. The aggressive one definitely has to leave, however. Turns out Gouramis aren't the best when in pairs? I recently read that their good in either groups or singles... Hmn. I'll have to remember that. 

Anyway, removing the Kissers, even if it's just one, should lessen the bioload a little bit which should help?

Oh, by the way, thank you for PMing me about ammonia toxicity! I might not have replied but I definitely gave it a good read. I appreciate it! <3

Small Update;

Kissing Gouramis have been removed.

Test Results - 02.09.2013

pH - 7.2
Ammonia - 1.5
Nitrite - 0.75
Nitrate - 2.5

Fish are showing no signs of distress; behaviour is fine and their physical health is visibly perfect.

This makes me hopeful! The ammonia has gone down from 3.00 (possibly 4.00, not quite the same colour), while the nitrite has lowered. The nitrite reached somewhere between 2.00 and 5.00 yesterday, which prompted me to change 20 litres of water. But to me it shows that the cycle is finally about to get started properly.

I'm keeping a close eye on the fish and noting anything that looks out of the ordinary; nothing so far. Any signs of ill-health and I'll remove them.

FINAL UPDATE:

My tank has cycled! Ammonia and Nitrite are both at 0 and Nitrate is below 40ppm!

No more casualties... Fish are healthy. Active and very greedy.

Hooray!

Thank you, everyone, for being very patient with me and offering your advice. It means so much to me and my lil' fishy babies! <3

britt said:
I would switch to RO water I believe its over all cleaner and I love the stuff. also did you switch over your old gravel and if so did you rinse it first, because doing so would remove beneficial bacteria, I never use instant cycling additives in my tank I believe that it is a way to get people to spend more money, I would honestly say though to let your tank grow some more bacteria and everything should be perfect, ive never done water changes above 50% but give 90% a try and when your done do a filter change a little bit later then you usually would just for added bacteria. What filter do you have anyways? 

Just reread you original post I wouldn't do anything with the gravel or filter till everything is all settled, I personally don't and things work just fine for me invest in ghost shrimp I love the little guys they help cean up our tank and can even slightly increase your bio load if you have enough.

In this situation I would not advice the OP to switch to RO water as it contains no calcium carbonate which is known to be utilised by algae and plants to grow. The 2nd best solution to ammonia removal, after repeated and thorough water changes, is allowing higher plants and algae to utilise calcium carbonate and any CO2 for photosynthesis.

If there is no calcium carbonate, algae will not grow as much and it will therefore not utilise any ammonia or nitrite for growth.

My advice to the OP is to remove the fish from the tank and place them in a bucket which has the same temperature water as the water in the tank. Conduct a 100% water change on the tank to remove the ammonia. You will then need to cut back on feeding significantly.
Nimbose said:
FINAL UPDATE:

My tank has cycled! Ammonia and Nitrite are both at 0 and Nitrate is below 40ppm!

No more casualties... Fish are healthy. Active and very greedy.

Hooray!

Thank you, everyone, for being very patient with me and offering your advice. It means so much to me and my lil' fishy babies! <3

Apologies, didn't see your latest post till now.

Excellent news!

Very well done 
applaud.gif.gif

whew! 
happy.png

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back