Ammonia issues

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wednesday Ammonia .5 to 1, Nitrite 0. Today Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0. Dose again or something else? TIA

I think people usually wait till ammonia is zero to 0.25, otherwise the total may slow down the bacteria. Nitrites staying zero seems strange. Do you have plants? Or maybe you never "lost" these bacteria from your first attempt at fish in cycling. The ammonia is going down faster than it was before, so that is good.

Are you testing nitrate instead of nitrite by mistake?

I think people usually wait till ammonia is zero to 0.25, otherwise the total may slow down the bacteria. Nitrites staying zero seems strange. Do you have plants? Or maybe you never "lost" these bacteria from your first attempt at fish in cycling. The ammonia is going down faster than it was before, so that is good.

Are you testing nitrate instead of nitrite by mistake?
No live plants. The tank, decor, and gravel were all cleaned and rinsed; hot water only. The only thing that I did keep was the filter to try to help with the bacteria. Positively Nitrite; light blue color API chart. Haven't added water except for when it started affecting the filtering which was once but it does need it again. Is the cloudiness part of the process?

How many times have you dosed ammonia, in total?

Been away a while, lost track of your thread

Nitrates are around 40ppm. Yes, API master freshwater kit.
Large WC to get those trAtes down to a reasonable level, and you're ready for fish...congrats!

After adding fish, be sure to monitor your params for several days afterward

Large WC to get those trAtes down to a reasonable level, and you're ready for fish...congrats!

After adding fish, be sure to monitor your params for several days afterward
Will do and thanks to you and Myraan for all of the help!!

Hey all! Once again thanks for the help! The chemicals are still good but the tank hasn't cleared at all; cloudy. I changed the filter on Monday, is there something that I'm missing?

Hey all! Once again thanks for the help! The chemicals are still good but the tank hasn't cleared at all; cloudy. I changed the filter on Monday, is there something that I'm missing?
What do you mean by "changed the filter"?
You never want to switch out your filter media, only rinse it in old tank water...

Have you done any water changes? Did you rinse the substrate? If that's all it is whatever doesn't eventually settle will gradually be removed during water changes.

What do you mean by "changed the filter"?
You never want to switch out your filter media, only rinse it in old tank water...
I have the Tetra Whisper Bio-Bags. They say to replace them every month.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back